What are you reading these days?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
Ohhhh, Gone Girl was gooooooooood and the Book Thief was an excellent read as well!

I'm reading The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists but I accidentally bought it in paper back so I'm having a tough time actually making myself read it.

I'm also reading The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty which seems like its going to be really good (and has a lot of great reviews) but I'm a third of the way through and it's slow going so far.
The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists - added

The Husband's Secret is good. Sad, but good.

Originally Posted by jessicajoe View Post
Me, me, me

I'm about ten pages from the end of "The Shack" Thank you so much to all the people who recommended it. It's thought provoking stuff.
I'm also devouring the Jack Reacher stories by Lee Child someone in work gave me a bag full and I've read three in the past week. I would never have chosen them but I'm really enjoying them.
In the car is a book of Stephen King short stories because I'm often ten minutes early for an appointment or have to eat my lunch en route.

I also have ODAT and Courage to change and lots to read for work and link after link online.

Yeah count me in with the readers
The Shack is very moving.

Love me some Lee Childs! Jack Reacher series. I come back to them when I am not ready for the next "serious" book(s).

Look into Ted Bell's Alex Hawke Series - you may like them also.

Originally Posted by JustAGirl1971 View Post
I love to read, too! I usually have a stack of books beside my bed and I carry one of my nooks with me most places. I'm kind of in a reading slump right now and am looking for some really good fiction. Am going to the library tonight (one of my favorite places), hopefully to rectify that. I typically have several non-fiction/self-help type things going at once but stick to one at a time on fiction. If I love the book, I'll finish it in a day if I have time. If I'm in a slump, I tend to drag it out a week or more.

Right now I'm just reading all of my alanon stuff, my bible study stuff, and just picked up Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps at the bookstore (another of my favorite places )

On a side note: Has anyone seen the movie The Book Thief?
What kind of fiction do you like?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyssy View Post
What kind of fiction do you like?
Depends on my mood? Really, I'll try almost anything.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustAGirl1971 View Post
Depends on my mood? Really, I'll try almost anything.
Here are some suggestion for ya!

Life of Pi
Amazon.com: Life of Pi eBook: Yann Martel: Books

People of the Book
Amazon.com: People of the Book: A Novel eBook: Geraldine Brooks: Books

The Help
Amazon.com: The Help eBook: Kathryn Stockett: Books

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Amazon.com: stieg larsson's millennium trilogy: Books

Ted Bell's Alex Hawke Series (recommend that you read in order)
Alex Hawke Series | Ted Bell Books

One Second After
Amazon.com: One Second After eBook: William R. Forstchen, Newt Gingrich, William D. Sanders: Books

The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay
Amazon.com: The Hunger Games eBook: Suzanne Collins: Books

Author Dan Brown
You may know some from the movies, but all are good.
Amazon.com: dan brown: Books
Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The Hunger Games books were really fun reads and I LOVED the most recent book from Dan Brown. I've been thinking about re-reading it. Ditto for David Sedarsis' latest book.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Oooh, thanks, Lyssy! I enjoy series books. I've read all the Stone Barrington series by Stuart Woods and I recently finished the last of the Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald. Now I have more to download to my Nook.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks, Lyssy. I actually have the Girl... series on my nook though I haven't read them yet. I have read all of The Hunger Games books/seen the movies, ditto on The Help and several Dan Brown books. I will check out the others. I think I will start with Alex Hawke series & One Second After.

Stung, is David Sedarsis the guy who wrote Me Talk Pretty?

ETA: If you haven't read The Divergent Series and like YA dystopian novels turned movies like THG, the first novel is coming out in movie form in March or April?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm horrid - I usually have a ton of books going at once. I've only recently switched gears to where my reading is more for fun rather than healing.

DS and I just started The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan. It's a tiny bit above his reading level so we're taking turns reading pages out loud, except when he takes it to school to read there.

I've got The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, Hunter's Death by Michelle West, Behemoth by Scott Westerfield, the Rama series by Arthur C Clark, going. I'm also re-reading a few favorites: Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, This Alien Shore by CS Friedman, and Shogun by James Clavell.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
I'm one too. Sounds like a good read.

I just finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Záfon (second read). Beautiful piece of work.
Yeah, it was out of print for a long time, but it's back... it's a real fast read but really interesting...
Another great new book is The Three Stooges Hollywood Filming Locations by Jim Pauley.
Beautiful book with amazing photos!!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I've been going through a spell of downloading a bunch of free books from Amazon for on my Kindle for PC (free also).

Last book I read was kind of fun - "Dear Bob and Sue" the husband and wife author put together a travel diary of sorts of all the national parks they are visiting by writing letters to their friends. It was interesting to read of their experiences in the park and although Matt, the husband's banter gets a little obnoxious it makes it real.

Also read "Letters to My Wife" which was similar about a man who is coming to grips with the death of his wife through a series of anonymous letters that he writes.

And of course I have my collection of self-help books and spiritual books. Many thanks to suggestions on SR. Although I have been taking a big break from these.

Something I haven't quite figured out is I seem to be drawn to reading young adult/twenty-something books and when I start reading them and realize they are targeted for an age I haven't been close to in over 30 years I still keep reading them and enjoy them. Maybe if I was paying for them, I wouldn't read so many. Not sure. I enjoyed "Flat Out Love", "Always Yesterday", "Don't You Forget About Me". Actually looking over these books I couldn't quite remember what the last two were about so although I enjoyed reading them at the time (quick reads), if I put them down and got busy with something else I might have forgotten to finish them.

I did also read a couple of Rick Riordan books that my son was enjoying, "The Red Pyramid" and "The Throne of Fire". Haven't gotten to the third one.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My ds and I are reading "Ender's Game" together. I'm reading "The Book Thief" and also "Controlling People" on my own. I am also perusing through a few books on eating healthy for people with IBS and other anti-inflammatory diet books.

Oh, and because I homeschool I sometimes wind up reading some science: today I learned how to do some physical science word problems and I also did some reading out loud from his health book and the chapter on anatomy.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love to read!! I'm another one with piles of books all over my house. Silly me I thought my kindle would alleviate those piles. I'm also reading more for entertainment right now.

I liked The Silver Linings Playbook and Cutting for Stone. And a cute, fun read I got for cheap on my kindle was Dolls Behaving Badly.

My all time favorite author is John Irving. I love A Prayer for Owen Meany. I could probably talk about books forever. I've read a lot of what Lyssy mentioned and liked them all.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Just finished Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and Amy Tan's The Bonesetter's Daughter, and for non-fiction I am reading something I can't recall the title exactly but it's something like "8 Weeks to Mindfulness". It's not that. But that's the gist. I am also slowly working my way through The Complete Sherlock Holmes collection I got myself for Christmas.

I also recently read Amy Timberlake's One Came Home which was really terrific and I highly recommend.

I am also always reading Stephen King. When I finished the Dark Tower series several years ago I got online, collected a list of everything he's ever published, and started re-reading everything in order. It's kind of a fascinating project, as I grew up reading his stuff, and am interested in how personal his writing became as he went on. The Shining is a shockingly different kind of read than, say, Hearts in Atlantis, and I enjoy how his voice unfolds over time, knowing about his struggles with addiction. Right now I am halfway through Four Past Midnight (The Langoliers was tough going...)
Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I loved The Hunger Games series and recently read Divergent by Veronica Roth, which is in the same vein as HG. The first two books were excellent, the third was just meh. Worth reading though!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

OK, one last one -
Non-Fiction
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
by Laura Hillenbrand (she also wrote Seabiscuit).

Amazon.com: Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption eBook: Laura Hillenbrand: Kindle Store

On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane’s bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.

The lieutenant’s name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, he’d been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.

Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a foundering raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity; suffering with hope, resolve, and humor; brutality with rebellion. His fate, whether triumph or tragedy, would be suspended on the fraying wire of his will.
This is a truly amazing story.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I love short fiction and essays, which I can devour quickly in a sitting, or right before bed.

I recently read Best European Fiction, 2013, edited by Aleksandar Hemon, which was an amazing departure from the usual U.S. perspective.

Also, just started The Best American Nonrequired Reading, 2013, edited by Dave Eggars. It's great, I highly recommend the whole series, in fact.

Thanks for the literary thread!!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I made a life-changing discovery last week: I can read my kindle in the tub if I put it in a zip-lock bag. Brilliant! (Very important, as it is one of the painfully few times/places the Fam understands that they absolutely cannot disturb me.)

P.S. Lyssy's recommendation, Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, was one of our book club books last year and it was wonderful--- very definately worth a read!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I have apparently missed a lot of great books, thank you all for sharing!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Early in my recovery someone shared that we embrace "progress not perfection" because anyone who thinks they are perfect is, well, a little crazy.
The idea that I'm not perfect, will never be perfect and that my HP loves me in spite of my imperfections is liberating. But knowing something in your head is a lot different that "knowing" something in your heart.
I've been reading "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown with delight. Ms. Brown says that this isn't a "self help" book, because she doesn't do self-help. Rather, the book is the product of her personal and scholarly research on living a more "wholehearted" life and developing a resistance to shame...which is a corrosive emotion that keeps us feeling separate.
(I hope that one-paragraph review does justice to the book).
She uses the phrase "wholehearted" early in the book and it really resonates where I'm trying to go on my own spiritual journey.
Worth the read.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan Dare View Post
Yeah, it was out of print for a long time, but it's back... it's a real fast read but really interesting... Another great new book is The Three Stooges Hollywood Filming Locations by Jim Pauley. Beautiful book with amazing photos!!
Did you hear about the lost short they recently found in Australia? That is going to be awesome to see.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyssy View Post
OK, one last one - Non-Fiction Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (she also wrote Seabiscuit). Amazon.com: Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption eBook: Laura Hillenbrand: Kindle Store This is a truly amazing story.
Read that last month. It was very good.