once again

Old 06-20-2004, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

once again

I am new to this forum. I joined today because I need some insight. I am so bitter and angry right now...
I have been dealing with my husband and his years of addiction. He went into a treatment center two years ago this August to finally straighten out. He used to drink everyday and use crack and cocaine about once a month. He is now "well". And when I say well... He now drinks about once every six weeks or so. His binging doesn't involve drugs and he has not let it affect work in any way. So what is the problem???-- He wonders. Right now he is sleeping off another binge on Fathers Day, while our children anxiously await giving him his gift. I am so angry-- I want to shout and hit him. I don't want him comfortably sleeping while I am the one miserable. I am so tired of always being a little uneasy, always being worried if I go to bed before him, I will be woken up by a phone call that he is arrested for driving under a suspended licence (he can't drive until Dec.) because he went to go get alcohol. Last night he got the vodka from a friends house that we are keeping an eye on. I am angry and embarrassed that I have to replace a bottle of vodka because my husband can't be trusted. Someone please help.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Christi,
Welcome to Sober Recovery, I'm glad you found us.
I've been where you are.
My ex used to pilfer the neighbor's liquor cabinet all the time.
Part of my recovery was to work my way out of his chaos and into my own life. That was a big step for me, because at the time, I didn't have a life.
I was totally consumed with his drinking and how I could "fix him".
Once I took the focus off of him and put it back on me, things began to improve.
I hope you stick around. There are a lot of people here who understand what you're going through.
Gabe
Old 06-20-2004, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome to SR,

What Gabe said is so true. You have choices and you can choose not be wrapped up in his battles. You don't have to replace the vodka...he can do that.

Make yourself at home...the coffee is always hot!
JT
Old 06-20-2004, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Echo what Gabe and JT have said. You have come to the right place. Serenity is there for you if you so desire. Keep coming back!
Old 06-20-2004, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Binge drinking is hard to deal with. So, the consequences of bingeing are having to get up and open the kids presents and then go and replace the volka. Those are his responsibilities not yours.
You can't change him, you can't control, you can't cure him... what you can do is change yourself. Read the power posts at the top of here and NarAnon... they make great reading. Do something nice for yourself today!