Courage To Change 01/23/2014

Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 01/23/2014

In Step Three we "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him." This is a big decision for those of us who have a tough time making even small decisions. Until I found Al-Anon, I tended to let others decide how I should live, where I should go, and what I should do. The paradox is that, though I took little responsibility for my own life, I saw myself as an expert on everyone else's life and felt accountable for all that happened.
The order in which the first three Steps are written helps me to overcome these attitude problems. First, I accept my inability to control the disease of alcoholism and admit that my life is unmanageable. Next, I come to believe that a Power greater than myself can help, After taking these two Steps, it becomes possible, desirable, and even logical, to make the enormous decision to trust my life to a Higher Power's care.

Today's Reminder

At the start of each day I can make the decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God. This way I begin my day with a strong assertion that I choose to accept the reality of my life. I am moving in a healthy direction, growing ever more able to live a good life and to love those I meet along the way.

"Decision is a risk rooted in the courage of being free."

~Pail Tillich
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

[Thats funny I did hear a saying that goes like that. We know how to solve everyone's problems but our own.

I found so much freedom when I truly began to apply step 3 to my life ty Carlotta!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Clincher! Thank you.

Hi Carlotta

I literally just joined this site, in part because of this post.

I went to my 4th Al-Anon Family Groups meeting today and this reading was the discussion focus. It was EXACTLY what I needed to hear (I see what you did there Universe!) to finally decide to turn my life over to my higher power and literally 'get with the program'. I don't have the Courage to Change book yet, but wanted to read it again when I got home. Google led me here to your post.

My decision really did/does feel like a risk, but I've found the courage because all my life all I've ever wanted is to be free. I kinda thought I was too, lol, but I now realise I've had it twisted, I've actually been free of of true freedom.

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for posting and send all good wishes from me to you.