SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Courage To Change 01/22/2014 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/320431-courage-change-01-22-2014-a.html)

Carlotta 01-22-2014 09:51 AM

Courage To Change 01/22/2014

I tried so hard to learn detachment. Living with active alcoholism was confusing, and the idea of detachment seemed vague. The alcoholic in my life was a restless sleeper who fell out of bed almost every night. Feeling it my duty, I would always help him back into bed. One night, after attending Al-Anon meetings for a while, I stepped over his body and got into bed, leaving him on the floor. Triumphantly, I went to my next Al-Anon meeting and told them, "I finally learned detachment!" "Well, "they said, "that's not exactly what we meant. We meant detachment with love."
I left that meeting with a new understanding that I put into practice the very next time my loved one fell out of bed. When I found him on the floor, I still didn't help him into bed. But I did put a blanket over him before stepping over his body and going to bed myself. This, to me, was detachment with love.

Today's Reminder

With my Higher Power's help, I will keep a loving blanket of detachment with me. I will cover my loved ones with it, whether or not they struggle with a disease, keeping in mind that when I am dealing with other human beings, I am dealing with children of God.

"Detachment is not isolation, nor should it remain focused on not enabling the sick behavior of the past. Detachment is not a wall; it is a bridge across which the Al-Anon may begin a new approach to life and relationships generally."

~Al-Anon: Family Treatment Tool in Alcoholism

Carlotta 01-22-2014 09:56 AM

When I found him on the floor, I still didn't help him into bed. But I did put a blanket over him before stepping over his body and going to bed myself.
That's one reading which stuck with me over the years for some reason. I used to do exactly the same thing with my XABF (step over him and he was lucky I did not stomp his head or his privates) after that reading, I always made sure I put a blanket over him.
I have found my best friend passed out many times over the years and I always make sure I put a blanket on him before leaving. One time we were both at a 4th of July barbeque in the park and he passed out. I really felt it was not my job to carry him to his house so I just took his wallet and his backpack, left a bus ticket in his pocket so he had a way to go home and would not get robbed then proceeded home myself.

allysen 01-22-2014 06:57 PM

In my opinion, detachment with love is one of the hardest concepts to understand and implement. It's sometimes so much easier to get angry, build a wall, and declare myself the winner. But I want healthy relationships in my life, so I'm always reminding myself to look at my own behaviour and ask if there was a gentler, and perhaps humane, way I could have done things.