Right where I need to be

Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Right where I need to be

I recently changed jobs, leaving the medical transcription field and returning to the bakery where I used to do delivery 10 years ago, before going to tech school for my transcription certificate. Transcription is going down the tubes fast, demand-wise and pay-wise, due to voice recognition software and offshoring (paying 2 cents per line in India). Odd how things come full circle.

Yes, I'm making a lot less $$ than I did when things were good in transcription. But I'm making more than I did by the end of my stint as a transcriptionist. AND--I'm out among people again, less isolated, physically active and doing a job where I can see what I have accomplished at the end of the day. Walking into the bakery at 3 AM and smelling the bread, feeling that warm yeasty air blow out of the oven door, talking to Rene and Arturo, the bakers--it's the real world instead of some recorded doctor's voice talking as fast as he can about his 50th appointment of the day.

And today, since my schedule has changed and I thus need to change my meetings, I stumbled onto a GREAT meeting at 9:45 on Monday (one of my days off) that works from "Pathways to Recovery", a book I bought when I first started Alanon b/c I liked the format. I have seen no other meeting that does this, and I'm excited to be able to work thru the book w/ a group instead of just reading it on my own. It has been a year of ups and downs and changes, but increasingly I feel as if I'm in the right place at the right time, as if I'm doing the right thing w/o really knowing why, and it amazes me.

I'm NOT a religious person, I do NOT believe in a HP that moves me around like a chess piece. Yet somehow there has been a solution to every problem--maybe not what I would have liked, maybe not a total resolution, but enough to keep going.

I'm right where I need to be right now.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So glad things are going well HP! I have read that book, it's a good one! Glad you found a meeting you can enjoy. It is amazing what it does for your spirit when you are able to focus on you in the positive!

Have a great day!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you're doing well! Thanks for the update. xoxoxox
Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, Honeypig! Sounds like you are enjoying your changes which is awesome.

I decided for 2014 I was adding an AlAnon step meeting to my schedule...the one by me does a step a month using the Pathways book. I've really enjoyed it so far...has inspired me to start looking at the SR step boards.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GREAT update Honeypig, I love your perspective on things! Thanks for taking the time to share!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi honeypig;
I'm not religious either, but totally understand what you mean
by "the right place at the right time".
My life is that way too.

A bakery is a wonderful place to be in the wee hours.
I used to do kitchen prep as a casual job when traveling overseas.
A real and tangible result, cool people to work with, all the good smells.
Sounds much better than transcription
Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the uplifting post. I needed to hear something like this.
. Perhaps I till am just where I need to be.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post

I'm NOT a religious person, I do NOT believe in a HP that moves me around like a chess piece. Yet somehow there has been a solution to every problem--maybe not what I would have liked, maybe not a total resolution, but enough to keep going.

I'm right where I need to be right now.
Yep. New Jobs, New Projects.

Loved the Chess Piece thing.

Just about finishing a project that went WAY over a year, and is WAY past should be done. Ready for the change, myself.

Went to visit with some folks about my maybe next project. Looks like an International Team on a specialty . . . . Chess Computer. I have not been this amused with a project in sometime. Looks like I am doing the software.

But you made me think of HP, Chess and all that together. I guess I am sort of playing the game myself, but every now and then, one of the Angels will whisper in my ear, "It would be a Really Smart Move, Right THERE." If I am being wise, I will listen.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's terrific honeypig.

I can imagine transcripting. How boring! Lonely! Methodical! Repetitious!

Bakery: Good smells, good eats, good people! Interaction!

No comparison!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies and encouragement, folks. Seriously, without all of you here at SR, as well as some who don't seem to post much any more (Lexiecat and Wicked, among others), I can't even imagine where I'd be today.

I'm so sorry for the pain and suffering all of you have gone thru, but I'm so grateful to you all for sharing what you've learned from it. I'm grateful to you even just for sharing the pain, b/c sometimes that is all we have to share. I've learned so much, and my world is so much wider and brighter and more serene.

I could never have done it w/o you, fellow SR members. I don't know what's around the next bend, but thanks to all of you, I'm looking forward to it with eagerness instead of trepidation.