Need help in making a decision

Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help in making a decision

Ok tax time is around the corner, and I can't decide if I should file separately or together. Two years ago he took all of our tax refund and put it in his account and spent it on things for him. Of course he did not tell me he was taking it and I was going to put some aside for Christmas and we needed to pay for dresses and a tux for our kids who was going to be in his nieces wedding.

I don't know who payed for the wedding stuff, I think his mom but we had it with our refund. Christmas was not fun that year because he thought I should pay for everything.(I had received money from my parents estate)

Last year I did file with him And had them put a very small amount in my bank account. That did not go over well, he told me I don't even pay taxes and don't deserve any of it back. Throught it in my face at Christmas wanting to know where that money was.

I do have a job and I do pay taxes- job is not much but if he does not claim me he will get little back or have to pay.

Whereas I should get back all or near all of everything I paid in.

Ok that Explained I have some big expenses coming up this spring that I expect no or little help from him. I have 2 seniors and one is going to a big college. So I am looking at coming up with 2-3 thousand just that I know of hopefully it will be less (working on scholarships and grants)

Before all this it was not an issue but the last two years it has been a struggle and now I am stressed out over it.

Any words of advice?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like you will have to deal with his anger, but if you need that refund then file separately. It's your job and your tax responsibility and it doesn't sound like you have very good communication or agreement about money...so just do what's best for you.

Why is it only you worrying about coming up with money for college?

Before all this it was not an issue but the last two years it has been a struggle and now I am stressed out over it.

What's changed?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It sounds like a very complicated and emotionally-charged situation! I guess if it were me, I would do what I needed to do to take care of my own financial responsibilities if my husband were not cooperative.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You need to figure out the dependent situation. Who can claim which children? If you decide to file separately. Do you itemize in the past? If one decides standard deduction and the other wants to itemize you will have a problem. Depends on how complicated your situation is.