Name Change

Old 01-17-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pia

Name Change

I asked the administrators to change my name from liloleme to Radiant and here is why:
I had a conversation with my husband unlike one I have ever had before. I learned more in that one conversation than any of our talks, lectures, explaining my reasoning, crying and ultimatums.
You see I learned from my husband not what he said but what he didn't say or do. As I listened to all his reasons as to why he didn't feel he was an alcoholic and wouldn't promise to stop. I listened to his definition of an alcoholic according to him. I listened as he was slurring every word. I listened to his tone of voice as he it raised and lowered it. I tried to reach his heart and explain what my needs and wants were (completely expecting nothing in return) Again, I listened to what he wasn't saying in return or doing. I told him I wasn't mad at him I was mad at alcoholism. I ended the conversation explaining I didn't want him to come. I didn't want the dogs to get excited and then I had to calm them down when he left. An overwhelming feeling came over me a feeling of relief and happiness. I didn't see him last night and I was proud of myself. I was mentally exhausted after 2 hours of talking to him over the phone. I dropped off the check with a mutual person this morning and continued on my day.
I emotionally ended my marriage last night not in anger not in spite but in the realization that I tried all I could and it was ok for me to go forward in MY life.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
I emotionally ended my marriage last night not in anger not in spite but in the realization that I tried all I could and it was ok for me to go forward in MY life.
Great name, Radiant. Perfect for the new "you." Congratulations on handling the conversation so well
Old 01-17-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is wonderful! Why get yourself all upset over all of it. I am so proud of you!

My word....your progress looks Radiant on you!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are amazing!
I think you did a great job accepting your
husband for who he is and for doing what you
needed to do to honor yourself....
It's so hard, there are still times that I have the dance with anger and
compassion, but in the long run, having
compassion is a much healthier place
to be and doesn't hurt our loved ones who are
still struggling with their disease....

Btw, I love the name change...
I hope you continue to wear it well!

All the best,

Linda
Old 01-17-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Change happens when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change.

Welcome Radiant!

Love the new name
Old 01-17-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pia

Thank you everyone -As we were talking I told him how sad it would be that we would be divorcing over alcoholism and be another statistic or he could start at the bottom and educate himself on the effects of alcoholism (not asking to quit but to educate himself, I went this route b/c he has to want to quit on his own)
Nothing but silence came from him. In the past I would of thought AWWW I must of said something that got to him yea me maybe my words triggered something in him and he wants to change . WRONG Alcoholics/druggies just can't think of a come back or he was in his truck trying to open a beer.
It's amazing what is actually not said when you listen.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love it, great name!!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone -As we were talking I told him how sad it would be that we would be divorcing over alcoholism and be another statistic or he could start at the bottom and educate himself on the effects of alcoholism (not asking to quit but to educate himself, I went this route b/c he has to want to quit on his own)
Nothing but silence came from him. In the past I would of thought AWWW I must of said something that got to him yea me maybe my words triggered something in him and he wants to change . WRONG Alcoholics/druggies just can't think of a come back or he was in his truck trying to open a beer.
It's amazing what is actually not said when you listen.
Maybe he stayed silent because he knows deep down inside you're right about him.....
And, you are right....it IS amazing what is actually not said when you listen....
I'm really sorry that you're losing him to alcoholism...
It's so sad....
But, at least you're strong enough to know that none of this is about you and that you're moving forward with your own life....
Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Beautiful name. May it shines on this new phase of your recovery.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Pia

Originally Posted by Diva76 View Post
Maybe he stayed silent because he knows deep down inside you're right about him.....
And, you are right....it IS amazing what is actually not said when you listen....
I'm really sorry that you're losing him to alcoholism...
It's so sad....
But, at least you're strong enough to know that none of this is about you and that you're moving forward with your own life....
"Maybe he stayed silent because he knows deep down inside you're right about him....."
He told me he believes what I am saying and it's probably true but he still isn't going to stop because he likes it and that is who he is and doesn't want anybody to try to make him be someone he isn't.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pia

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Beautiful name. May it shines on this new phase of your recovery.
Thank you - My days may not be beautiful everyday but it will be more beautiful than the gray years I've been living.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"Maybe he stayed silent because he knows deep down inside you're right about him....."
He told me he believes what I am saying and it's probably true but he still isn't going to stop because he likes it and that is who he is and doesn't want anybody to try to make him be someone he isn't.
Yep. That's what a lot of alcoholics say when they're in denial...
I remember hearing something very similar from one of the guys I used to date...
What's so sad about all of this is...
I bet he has no idea what he's throwing away by letting you go....
If he doesn't regret it already, I'm sure he will someday....
What a d--n shame....
I'm glad you're managing although it must still be very difficult for you....
Sigh...
I hate this disease;(