Courage To Change 01/17/2014

Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 01/17/2014

Anyone who watched my interactions with the alcoholics in my life probably would have considered me the crazy one. I was the one who searched from bar to bar, made scenes in public places, and got hysterical over little things. I was also the one who agonized over the alcoholic's behavior, lied, made apologies, and excuses, and resented everything I was doing. Was this sane?
Al-Anon was the first place where I ever thought to question my own sanity. I found that I couldn't overcome the effects of this disease by force of will or reason. As they say, my best thinking got me here. But Al-Anon's Second Step suggested that a Higher Power could restore me to sanity.
I knew that I felt more rational in an Al-Anon meeting than I did at any other tine, and so I turned for help to the Power that seemed to flow through those meetings. From time to time I still have my irrational moments, but I no longer blame my erratic behavior on anyone else. I now know exactly where to turn when I am ready to find sanity once more.

Today's Reminder

Today I will focus on my own behavior. If it could stand some improvement, I will ask a Power greater than myself for help.

"If we do not change our direction, we are likely to end up where we are headed."

~Ancient Chinese proverb
Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I just wish those people would stop writing about me
Seriously this is really a timely reading for me. There has been many time where when I was with the alcoholics in my life if someone had been asked:
"Who is the drunk and who is in recovery?"
based on my behavior they would point me out as the drunk.
Just a couple of days ago, I had a codie meltdown I shared here. The good thing though is that I have the tools and the steps, I can use them to pull the brakes on the "codie crazy" and bounce back almost immediately instead of wallowing in misery.
Life is too short to allow someone else's craziness to ruing it for us. If you are new and just chanced upon that reading, I hope you will keep coming back to read everyday (I post a new thread) and that you will give Al Anon a shot. It really, really helped me.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I just wish those people would stop writing about me
Thanks, Carlotta. Yesterday and today's readings really resonated with me. I bought the book and am reading it when you post it... and then reading again in the evening when I read my other al-anon stuff and my bible. Then, I journal
Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
The good thing though is that I have the tools and the steps, I can use them to pull the brakes on the "codie crazy" and bounce back almost immediately instead of wallowing in misery.
Carlotta, you are a true example of the program in action!!

So glad you started posting these. In early December, I knew I would be missing several meetings through the new year and mentioned it to another member. She told me that there are some particularly good readings in December & January that would really help me through...she was sooo right.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I sure wish Al Anon would offer ebooks (Kindle) and/or audible books.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Having been separated from XAH for 8 months now, and truly enjoying the peace that is now in my life, I've become almost hyperaware of when I'm the one creating drama, acting out codie behaviours, etc. My heart pounds, I tune out everyone and everything, and go insane. And it hits me hard and I feel awful afterwards. Like Carlotta said, as time goes on, I can catch myself quicker and quicker each time and bring back the peace into my life.

I'm glad to see these readings posted.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Carlotta for that. I've needed to remind myself of that a lot lately. Some of the worst things I've done as a co-dependent - yelling in public, etc., etc. were while I was drunk. I have to always always keep that in mind - both to keep my own sobriety and to disengage from my AH. Because even if I take alcohol out of the equation, I still have the problems. Focus on my own behavior and ask for help from my HP. Thank you again!