SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   3 years since I came here. Wow. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/319847-3-years-since-i-came-here-wow.html)

wanttobehealthy 01-17-2014 06:25 AM

3 years since I came here. Wow.

3/2/2011

That's when I made this first post... Just went back to re read old posts to see how much has changed and to remember .... 3 yrs ago - that's when I first came to SR. 3 years I can't get back and if I hadn't come here and finally stopped arguing and listened, I would still be in the mess I was in and worse, so would my kids...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2883334

Wow. Much as it sucked to get out of this marriage and extricate myself finally from the alcoholic dance that I willingly participated in, am I ever glad for the process bc I learned so much and am such a better mom to my kids for it!

:thanks

hopeful4 01-17-2014 06:29 AM

Good for you! It is three years of progress!!!

MissFixit 01-17-2014 06:31 AM

proud of you, lady!

it is funny how most people really do not accept any info that doesn't re-enforce their unhealthy situations. denial is not just a river in egypt!

it is also cool how we all evolve over time and can see through the BS. yay!

i just looked at your avatar and remember scaredy squirrel. was that you?

suki44883 01-17-2014 06:32 AM

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I see a lot of names there that I haven't seen in a long time.

You have come a LONG way, but it takes however long it takes. I know that sometimes people just aren't ready to hear certain things and certainly aren't ready to act on them.

You have grown so much and I'm so glad to know that things are getting better. (((HUGS)))

wanttobehealthy 01-17-2014 06:39 AM

A friend of mine was asking how things are w xAH and my answer surprised me...

Nothing at all has changed in him. Nothing has changed in how he behaves. But I truly have figured out for the most part to see humor or sadness in his antics vs letting myself spin crazily with him....

I have some new really good friends and have reconnected with old friends and am just excited about my life and all the options before me.

I sure as hell didn't think 3 yrs ago I could ever be so happy; and you know what? Things are not ideal, I am dirt poor and living paycheck to paycheck, my kids have a lot of issues to work through bc of what he and I subjected them to... But at the start and end of each day I have peace at home and enjoy my life more than I ever thought I could.

Funny how life is... :)

MissFixit 01-17-2014 06:42 AM

your babes are lucky enough to have a healthy house now. that's all you!

Florence 01-17-2014 06:44 AM

A friend of mine was asking how things are w xAH and my answer surprised me...

Nothing at all has changed in him. Nothing has changed in how he behaves. But I truly have figured out for the most part to see humor or sadness in his antics vs letting myself spin crazily with him....

I have some new really good friends and have reconnected with old friends and am just excited about my life and all the options before me.

I sure as hell didn't think 3 yrs ago I could ever be so happy; and you know what? Things are not ideal, I am dirt poor and living paycheck to paycheck, my kids have a lot of issues to work through bc of what he and I subjected them to... But at the start and end of each day I have peace at home and enjoy my life more than I ever thought I could.

Funny how life is...
Yes! Yes yes yes. Me too. I'm about at three years on SR, too. Your progress looks good on you. It's amazing, isn't it? It's like being nose to nose with the stars and being able to pick the one you want. Before they were so far away and not meant for people like me.

I love the journey.

JustAGirl1971 01-17-2014 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy (Post 4413685)

Funny how life is... :)

Wow, WTBH. I really hope I can write that 3 years from my join date. My AH moves out next month. I feel like I'm on a roller-coaster: sad and grieving one minute, excited about the future the next.

What an inspirational post! You sound so much healthier than your first post :)

wanttobehealthy 01-17-2014 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by JustAGirl1971 (Post 4413707)
You sound so much healthier than your first post :)

That wouldn't be hard! When I look back at how nuts I was and how consumed w fixing the A I was,mI think that I'm quite lucky I made it out in tact!

wanttobehealthy 01-17-2014 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 4413694)
Yes! Yes yes yes. Me too. I'm about at three years on SR, too. Your progress looks good on you. It's amazing, isn't it? It's like being nose to nose with the stars and being able to pick the one you want. Before they were so far away and not meant for people like me.

I love the journey.

I love the nose to nose w the stars example!!! So glad things are so much better for you too!!!

Hawkeye13 01-17-2014 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 4413694)
It's like being nose to nose with the stars and being able to pick the one you want. Before they were so far away and not meant for people like me.

This is such a wonderful quote--I think you should start a new thread that is the opposite of the "Quackers" thread with with this as the first entry.

I don't what it should be called though. . . any ideas folks?

SparkleKitty 01-17-2014 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 (Post 4413771)
I don't what it should be called though. . . any ideas folks?

Anti-Quacks?

WTBH, I joined a while after you, but the first post I read of yours was about meeting your XAH in a parking lot to exchange your girls. It brought me to my knees in gratefulness that I had not been asked to face that kind of challenge in my life. It has been worth sticking around SR for almost a year and a half just, literally JUST, to see how far you've come.