28 days is down to 10....

Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

28 days is down to 10....

10 days left to work on me. The first week AH was in rehab I was feeling physically horrible from not taking care of myself over the holidays. Made a doctors appt and set up a new program. Second week was family week at rehab. I'm so glad I went. Did so-so on taking care of myself since I needed to put the family week program first. Overall, I give myself an A for effort. Kept forgetting to take most of my supplements just from the busy schedule and lack of sleep (snowplows, noises, not used to sleeping in the city, tons of stuff from the day going round in my head...) Last weekend, got sick as soon as I slowed down. No wonder. Fought it off well. Drove a 2 hr round trip yesterday to make it to an Alanon meeting. Worth it, just for the fact that I went. Making new routines, building support systems, reaching out and making connections.

Now 10 days left. For a little bit today I wanted to wallow in a pity party of not having accomplished anything and having no energy to do the things I really wanted to. Now I'm looking at it as 10 days to put ME first. In 10 days, big changes can be made in little ways and miracles can happen. It may be a bit rough when AH first gets home, so I need to get my routine started now. Decades of stress have beaten me down, but I'm healing. No matter what happens with AH and his recovery program, I need to take care of me for me. Cue Rocky theme song. It's not that I'll give this up when AH is home, just now is the time I get a complete breather to focus on only myself and DS. I'll be implementing things I learned to do this past year. Including more prayer, meditation and finding fun and joy in life!!

Enough about me... if you're reading this, what are you doing for yourself this week? Inspiration in small things welcome!!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ps -- I was doing a lot of reading over the weekend (co no more, beyond co, under the influence, adult children of A's, etc.), but now I need to put the homework aside for a bit and have some FUN in each day.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pia

I like to start my morning with Starbucks and the gym. Then I read the Bible and Codependency No More along with the activities. I have little statements throughout my house posted in places where I can see them example : I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it and more of course. I'm working on creating small goals I want to do this year like learn a new language. My thought process I want to be so stinking busy working on me that I don't have time to think about AH that is no longer home.
I've learn through my journey that it is ok to think of me and it is not selfish. Please take this time to focus on you and enjoy it.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A thought:

You have as long as you need to to work on you.
The ten days are only the timespan until your AH is done with rehab.

You could choose to tell him you're not ready for him to come back if that is how you feel.

Don't put your recovery on his time table.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith
It's not that I'll give this up when AH is home, just now is the time I get a complete breather to focus on only myself and DS.
Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
A thought:

You have as long as you need to to work on you.
The ten days are only the timespan until your AH is done with rehab.
Exactly. It's a marriage though! We haven't really had time together for weeks and we'll probably be needing both time together and space.. no clue when on each of those, just take that as it comes. We had a great conversation one night a few months ago and stayed up til 2am talking. I paid for it later for the lack of sleep, but no regrets on that -- "we" needed that together. Right now is completely selfishly ME time. In the midst of real life, including tragedies near to us, I need this break. All I can do in the here and now is work on myself. Make connections. Live life. Breathe. The next 10 days is dedicated to re-implementing my newer healthy habits for each day that follow.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liloleme View Post
I like to start my morning with Starbucks and the gym. Then I read the Bible and Codependency No More along with the activities. I have little statements throughout my house posted in places where I can see them example : I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it and more of course. I'm working on creating small goals I want to do this year like learn a new language. My thought process I want to be so stinking busy working on me that I don't have time to think about AH that is no longer home.
I've learn through my journey that it is ok to think of me and it is not selfish. Please take this time to focus on you and enjoy it.
Thank you. I need to pray for personal mentorship, and I'm grateful of so much I already find here at SR.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

hmmm. This week.

Started a formal Step Study Group. (Thank You, God)

Doing my Alanon help-out for Newbie Families at the Local Rehab.

and getting ready for Cub Scout Pinewood Derby.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: The planet Earth, or at least that's what I've been told.
What an encouraging thread, thanks for starting it!

I think it's great Keeping that you're so focused and so determined. It really shows how strong your character is and how motivated you are.

As for my week - my goal is to pray and meditate everyday, it's amazing the difference this makes. Exercise. It's been months since I last worked out and I'm definitely noticing the difference. Cook some new dishes for myself. I just bought a food processor and I got a new knife set for Christmas, so I'm going to try to put it all to use. Work on my projects. Meet up with friends. Take a trip out of town this weekend!