Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Note of encouragement for Parents of Adult Alcoholics/Addicts

Old 01-14-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

An adult child that sufferes from this disease is a very painful journey ~

It is very difficult to find the balance between supportive assistance and enabling; between being a parent that helps or a parent that helps too much; and even learning to detach with love & respect instead of the dreaded detachment with a machette. . .

None of us doing perfectly ~ in fact I don't think it is possible to be perfect at it nor do I believe there is a cut & dried answer for each situation. I believe each parent must follow the guidance of their HP, their recovery and what they feel they is the healthiest decision they can be comfortable with in their inner self.

We, who have been on this site a while, know what this disease can do to our loved ones. I have shared a little about my oldest daughter's journey ~ the many treatment programs, in patient, out patient, multiple jail sentenances, relapse after relapse after relapse, loss of custody of her children, the physical abuse, the homelessness, theft, and all else that goes with active alcoholism & addiction.

But today I come here to share something positive ~ not to brag, not to discount your pain, not to make you feel that my daughter is better than yours but to do what other good post did for me when times were at their darkest ~ to give you hope ~ to let you know there is always a chance for change. . .

Today that beautiful, intelligent, loving daughter celebrates 2 years continued sobriety!! By the Grace of her HP and her willingness to suit up & show up ~ she is clean and sober.

I really don't know for sure because it's not my business but from my perspective and understanding I believe this is probably the first time she has had 2 yrs continual sobriety since she was 15-16 years old. She is 36 years old.
That my friends is totally a wonderful HP blessing!

I know as a parent it is discouraging and difficult ~ I know I had to detach and take care of myself during her active years, but because of recovery I was still able to treat her with dignity & self-respect. I learned that in meetings & here.
I think that is why she & I were able to maintain a relationship even at a distance.

So keep doing what is healthy & best for you, my fellow parents! And I will continue praying for your precious children as you prayed for mine !

Maybe one day we will all have a positive post like this one!

PINK HUGS always!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

MsPinkAcres----thank you....you are soo right, that encouraging words do give us enough hope to continue when the days are the darkest!!

dandylion