Courage To Change: 01/10/2014

Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change: 01/10/2014

I suspect that if I reclaimed all the minutes, hours and days I've sacrificed to worry and fear, I'd add years to my life. When I succumb to worry, I open a Pandora's box of terrifying pictures, paranoid voices, and relentless self-criticism. The more attention I pay to this mental static, the more I lose my foothold in reality. Then nothing useful can be accomplished.
To break the cycle of worry and fear, I'm learning to focus all my attention on this very moment. I can turn away from destructive thoughts and concentrate instead on the sights and sounds around me: light and shadow, the earth beneath my feet, the pulse of everyday living - all pieces of the here-and-now. These bits of reality help rescue me from "what ifs" and "should haves" by anchoring me in the present. Prayer and meditation, the slogans, and phone calls to Al-Anon friends are other sources of serenity that bring me back to this moment. As I shut out the noise, I am more receptive to my Higher Power's will, and therefore much more able to work my way through difficult times.

Today's Reminder

This day is all I have to work with, and it is all I need. If I am tempted to worry about tomorrow's concerns, I will gently bring my mind back to today.

"The past has flown away. The coming month and year do not exist. Ours only is the present's tiny point."
~Mahmud Shabistari
Old 01-10-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I actually said something like this in my meeting this week. I was like, yeah, I have a lot more free time now that I'm not worrying about everyone else's stuff and just focusing on me. We all kind of chuckled at that, but it's true. Thanks for posting!
Great avatar too. Tardar Sauce for president.