Minecraft. Alcohol and Drug Mod

Old 01-03-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Just make sure he gets Good Exposure to Real Math and Science Topics.
I'm a math nerd. Love it; could never understand why people were afraid of it. It's simply learning another language. And physics... geometry.... Helps when playing pool, too. (Just saying... and remembering 'friendly' games in college with arrogant boys who thought a girl needed a guy to show her how to play and that they could win a few bucks off her. )

For Christmas, I bought DS (9yo) the book "I Wish I Knew That: Math, Cool Stuff You Need to Know" It may not have been his most cherished gift, but it's picked up each night to read with a notebook at hand. So, YAY! Probably doesn't hurt that Momma's reading James Gleick and Michio Kaku. may not be solid exposure, but it helps to make it fun, which will hopefully stick as he rises through the grades.

Right role models? Grits, it doesn't have to be a guy. My nephew's Best Friend (DON'T say GF, I remind myself) is a quirky, beautiful, nerdy girl who is helping to design games professionally. She's awesome! Listening to her and nephew talk is amazing, hilarious and humbling. (They know soooo much already!) And nerdiness translates well across genres: math, history, physics, languages... It is after all just being enthusiastic about a subject without caring if others truly understand the interest.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Grits, lol! I like the addition of the half! In about a month I'll be 29.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by patientlywaitin View Post
Cheese, nerds are cool at least that's what I want my 12yr old daughter to believe! Hehe, she has always been a reader to, loves art and science... If I could just keep her away from the Justin Bieber wana be's I might make it through puberty!
I love you. You noticed my avatar. *passes over a chocolate milk*
Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I like chocolate milk! My fav episode
Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Theuncertainty- he takes to men for these things better than women. I don't know of it's his "daddy issues" with bio-dad, or what. My best friend here is big on math, but he would still rather talk to Mr. Grits or another man first.

Stung- I have five kids under 10 years of age. Half-birthdays are a big deal!