Question about Spirituality,HP etc.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the great pointers folks.
I have myself a reading list
Old 01-04-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
no guarantees that just because we go to church
life will work out just as we wish it would
that is a new age message shared in many churches these days
but - holds not to scripture

actually the bible tells Christians that life will be rough here
also expect to be persecuted

MB
I'm glad you brought this up. I hear this a lot: "Where is God when xyz happens?" Or, "No God would allow abc!" Well, actually, it's never said that those who believe will live a life free from trouble. In fact, we will be tested and persecuted because of our faith. The meek will inherit the earth. When things start going wrong for me, that's when I stop and look at myself. Usually I'm trying to control everything, or I'm going off the path and need to get back on it. When really super bad things happen, well, that's life. We aren't guaranteed sunshine and rainbows.

I'm also glad to be a part of this forum. It speaks volumes about the people here that this thread has existed peacefully and without flaming or trolls.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post

I'm also glad to be a part of this forum. It speaks volumes about the people here that this thread has existed peacefully and without flaming or trolls.
A-freakin-men.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

what is an internet troll?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Book: The Shack by William P. Young.
^^ Yes, this x10! This book is EXCELLENT & a fast read. I got A LOT out of it, spiritually speaking.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

You could probably amazon search for spirituality books.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
what is an internet troll?
Someone who posts inflammatory comments on forums like this just to cause dramatic arguments between regular posters.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Someone who posts inflammatory comments on forums like this just to cause dramatic arguments between regular posters.
Great answer! All I could think of was my AW, any active A, or an asshat. That's why I didn't answer. Even after 3 years of separation and a strong recovery I still tend to view everything through alcoholism. I guess that's why they say recovery is a journey not a destination.

Your friend,
Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

thanks. i have heard the term before but didn't know what they actually were. i envisioned short dirty messy people living under a bridge, but i didn't think that is what was meant.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
... i envisioned short dirty messy people living under a bridge, but i didn't think that is what was meant.
Actually, that is a good description, from my perspective. Just that they have a laptop under the bridge

Mike
Old 01-05-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

You could PM me if you want and I would be happy to share what works for me. Like you , I grew up going to Sunday School and even taught.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

What is Spirituality?

The term "spiritual" and "spirituality" are being tossed about quite a bit these days. Almost anything can qualify as "spiritual." Phil Jackson, coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, a NBA basketball team, has authored Sacred Hoops, a book about his spiritual journey in coaching ball. Art exhibits proclaim they are part of an emerging "new spirituality." Many books have been written, with authors making the talk show circuit, that discuss how to find one's spiritual center or be a truly spiritual person. Everyone seems to be more interested than ever in finding spirituality. Yet few seem to be asking for a definition of exactly what they are looking for. Just what is spirituality?

In our society, spirituality has come to mean three or four key ideas. First, much of today's spirituality movement is certain no one source holds all truth. Elizabeth Lesser has written one of the most popular books on today's spirituality, The New American Spirituality: A Seeker's Guide. In it she speaks of how she has discovered a "deeply personal religious path-one that wandered through Zen Buddhist monasteries, meandered through Christian churches, dabbled in African and Native American traditions . . . ." Thus "using her own journey as the road map, Lesser discusses why so many Americans are coming to a deeply personal form of religion - one that does not prescribe to a specific doctrine or definition of God." To find your own spirituality you need to wade through all sorts of different ideas and traditions to find what appeals to you, what you like and what makes you feel good. That leads to the second key idea, which is do what you want, how you want, when you want. American spirituality really is Home Depot spirituality - it's do it yourself religion. For example, one fellow has written a book about the spirituality of eating, saying that "eating connects us to the mystery and source of all living things." Others are practicing vision quests, nature hikes, or just about any thing else any one wants to do. Do what you like and then just call it a spiritual experience. Of course, a big part of this will be no condemnation of any kind. No one should judge any one else's spiritual experience, regardless of how silly or sick it may be. You do what you want, I will do what I want and we will all just agree that we are all very spiritual people. If this sounds ridiculous, remember that there is no objective reality. God doesn't really exist - we create Him. In this new spirituality there are not absolute standards of right and wrong that apply to all people in all times. Ethics fluctuate and change with every situation. God is not a real Being, an objective reality that has factual existence. No, instead God becomes something we make up, and that we can craft to suit ourselves.

A close examination of American spirituality reminds one of Romans 1 doesn't it? Today's spiritual gurus claim wisdom but are only leading people deeper and deeper into paganism and immorality of every kind.

The Bible offers a very different definition and idea of spirituality. 1 Corinthians 3:3 tells us "for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?" To be carnal is to behave like men, thus its opposite (spirituality) is simply to behave like God. Spirituality is simply being godly, or possessing godliness. A fine working definition of spirituality is knowing God so I can please God. That is what godliness (spirituality) is all about. Paul makes this clear: "If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord" (1 Cor. 14:37). Spirituality is forever tied to knowing God and doing God's will. Let's break these ideas out.

http://www.bible.ca/ef/expository-mark-1-21-28.htm
Old 01-05-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Bob, it is not good behavior in this forum to tell other people that their opinions are wrong. We get that your are a Christian and happy with it and want to share it. It is not acceptable to tell other other people their opinions and experiences are wrong.

This is a thread on spirituality and everybody's opinion is welcome and valued. It is not a place to say we are descending into paganism and immorality.

We are here to support and help each other.

Your friend,
Old 01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

One of the biggest points I try to make to people who preach AT me, is that all of us are wrong in one way or another. Different sects and denominations all believe different things, but they all will swear up and down that they are right and everyone else is going to burn in the fires of hell. I think it's ludicrous to believe that, say, the Presbyterians are right and everyone else is wrong. I'm not trying to start an.argument, just trying to offer some perspective and maybe get people thinking. This is why I have a problem with organized religion. In too many churches you either believe everything they tell you to, or you're condemned and most certainly destined for an eternity on Hades. I think that each person's search for spirituality and God is individual and acceptable to Him. Follow a Christ-like path, live a good life, be good to people, and trust Him with all your heart. Find YOUR path to God as YOU see him. Just don't be a heathen and try to call yourself a Christian at the same time. Just sayin.

FWIW, I've found parts of other religions (Judaism, specifically) fascinating, and I've adopted bits and pieces into my spirituality.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Location: The planet Earth, or at least that's what I've been told.
Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
Bob, it is not good behavior in this forum to tell other people that their opinions are wrong. We get that your are a Christian and happy with it and want to share it. It is not acceptable to tell other other people their opinions and experiences are wrong.

This is a thread on spirituality and everybody's opinion is welcome and valued. It is not a place to say we are descending into paganism and immorality.

We are here to support and help each other.

Your friend,
Well said Mike. Although his post brings up an interesting point - there is a lot of fear concerning paganism in our culture.

Growing up Catholic I was taught to fear everything from paganism to Buddhism. Even practicing Yoga was considered something taboo.

It was only until I started being so bold as to discover these other faith systems for myself did I learn about all the wisdom and lost knowledge they offered.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm not religious but I am spiritual. I have been having a rough time and being hard on myself lately. I went to a yoga class today and the teacher was amazing! Her theme for the class was loving kindness, not just for others, but for ourselves. At this time of year when we're making resolutions and setting ourselves up for failure (lol), it's easy to be tough on ourselves. She continued with the theme throughout the whole class, gently reminding us to appreciate and love ourselves as we are, right now.

You'd think that I'd pay attention to my own quote below but I quite often forget to be kind and compassionate to myself. I'm getting there.

Anyway, this is my idea of a higher power. Loving myself and others. Being kind to one another. Seeing the beauty in all the universe has to has to offer. Today I got just what I needed to feed my soul and center myself. I don't think that was an accident.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Location: The planet Earth, or at least that's what I've been told.
Very inspiring post ReaderBaby

Over the years that's something I've had to learn how to do - love and nurture myself. I never received very much of it growing up, but I think I'm getting pretty good at it!

Cooking is my favorite thing to do for myself now! I just bought myself a food processor, so we'll see what new things I can create. Hopefully they're edible