SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Happy New Year, Your Brother is Dead (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/318153-happy-new-year-your-brother-dead.html)

NWGRITS 01-01-2014 05:29 PM

Happy New Year, Your Brother is Dead

So, I think all of the regulars here probably know that I post about my alcoholic mother a lot. What nobody knew was that I also have a bipolar, alcoholic, drug addict brother. Well, I had, until the 29th of December. He was 19 years older than me, so we never lived together, and his drinking never affected me directly. So, I never mentioned him because I didn't think it was significant. God, how I wish I had talked about him. Or talked to him more. Maybe dealing with this news may have been easier. Maybe not.

My brother was a tortured soul. We have another brother who is financially very well-to-do, and he got AB the best care he could for his bipolar. Unfortunately, the system in the US is highly flawed, and it's more about making money than helping people. The more you're struggling, the more money they make trying to "fix" you. But that's another topic for a different forum here. Long story short, AB was homeless and fighting demons stronger than himself. He was found in some bushes, in his sleeping bag, having died of "natural causes." Losing him at a young 49 is bad enough, but the circumstances surrounding his death have me so angry. Not at him, not at my brother, but at the piece of **** mental health system in this country. Would a better system have cured him completely? Maybe not, but I know for certain my brother wouldn't have been treated like a piece of garbage, or died on the side of the road like one.

I miss him so much. Rest in peace, dear brother. You're not suffering anymore.

SparkleKitty 01-01-2014 05:36 PM

Oh Grits I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you strength and peace.

lillamy 01-01-2014 05:38 PM

Lots of hugs, Grits. I'm sorry for your loss.

Dee74 01-01-2014 05:40 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.

D

Pelican 01-01-2014 05:46 PM

:candle5D:

I am sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and all who loved him.

Diva76 01-01-2014 05:51 PM

I am so sorry to hear the news about your
brother....
My heart goes out to you....

Linda

Stung 01-01-2014 05:56 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers for your family.

Kat60 01-01-2014 06:03 PM

I am so sorry for your loss GRITS. My prayers for peace go out to you and your family....

HopefulinFLA 01-01-2014 06:06 PM

So sorry NWGrits! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

readerbaby71 01-01-2014 06:12 PM

I am so, so sorry about your brother.

I agree that the mental health system in this country is in a sad state of affairs. No one should have to suffer like that.

Wishing you and your family much love and healing.

JustAGirl1971 01-01-2014 06:23 PM

I'm sorry :(

dandylion 01-01-2014 06:35 PM

:candle6D:GRITS---He is at peace, and I can tell by your words that he is loved and missed. My heart goes out to you. I send you my deepest condolences.

dandylion

FireSprite 01-01-2014 06:48 PM

I'm so, so sorry for this shocking loss. ((((hugs)))) & prayers!

patientlywaitin 01-01-2014 06:53 PM

I agree with you on the system and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Renarde 01-01-2014 07:21 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. You have every right to be angry at this stupid system.

CarryOn 01-01-2014 07:26 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and all who loved him.

NWGRITS 01-01-2014 07:31 PM

Thank you, everyone. I've been alternating between fine and a complete wreck all day. I got the call from my dad last night while on the airport shuttle coming home from the trip to Tennessee. I just keep picturing the scene from the local news story there (he lived on the other side of the country from me, and not in Tennessee), and I lose it. No one should have to live or die that way. What really gets me is that it could BE me. I also suffer from bipolar, which is getting worse as time marches on. It could be my kids, my sister, either of my two remaining brothers... Something needs to be done to genuinely help people with mental illness in this country. The current state of things isn't cutting it.

MissFixit 01-01-2014 07:45 PM

i am sorry.

jzeb2008 01-01-2014 07:49 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss. It is very difficult to see our loved ones suffer and die this way.

hopeful4 01-01-2014 08:36 PM

I am so sorry. My pryers are with you.