Worried about my sisters drinking

Old 01-01-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about my sisters drinking

Hello again

I don't know if I should be concerned but I recently spent some time with my sister and she drinks almost every day.
She used to drink the odd glass and was known for loving her wine.
She will get in from work start drinking and she was never this way. She has two children and she has terrible anger which I have seen her use against them. She had slapped them around the head too. They are only ten and good children. I told her not to do that and she got defensive just as she does when she drinks.
She goes away with friends sometimes, parties, hen nights and is oblivious to her children missing her.
I don't know what do if she has a drinking habit or not.
She had had this new friend for about three years and since then she had changed her friend is a big party goer. Although my sister drinks more. And it's a running joke her with a glass of wine in her hand. Her husband seems to not do anything and I have tried talking to him. He doesnt like me involved says its his family.
Maybe I am crossing the line and its none if my business but I love my sister.
All I know is that my sister is worrying me.
thanks for listening xx
Old 01-01-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like she has a severe problem, drinking and slapping her kids cause she's drinking is just awful. I don't really know how you can help her but I am sure others may have a better idea than me. Wish you all the best.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I am sorry about your experience with your visit to your sister's home.
It sounds dysfunctional at the very least. I don't know if they have Child Protective Services in Spain or a Department of Family and Children Services, but those organizations can make inquiry if you suspect the children are being physically, or emotionally abused.

I found the information in this sticky post helpful in learning how to help an alcoholic loved one:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html