Xanax

Old 01-01-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax

Does anyone know how long Xanax stays in the system? After my spill to my AH, he told me he still takes the meds but swears not when drinking. Said he's done better and can go days w/o drinking but during that time, when anxiety hits, when trying to abstain from alcohol he will take Xanax. I can't help but think this is still not good.
But hey, I'm more than proud if myself I've let my position and feelings be known. I'm so praying for change to begin, one way or another.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Katchie---xanax reaches the peak blood value in about 2 hrs. after taking--and about 4hrs. when the "effects" wear off. (this is different than the half-life of a drug--which is how long it takes the byproducts of the drug to be eliminated by the body). xanax is primarily used as an anxiety reliever. It can treat the withdrawl symptoms from alcohol. It is entirely possible that your husband is telling the truth. The major problem comes when alcohol and xanax are taken at the same time--that can be dangerous, depending how much of each drug is taken--each one is potentiated.

xanax is a very useful drug when taken as it is intended--for the purposes that are intended. This is very important. If not--one can become dependent on the drug. This is true for many drugs--not just xanax. Any drug can be abused if not taken properly.

dandylion
Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Katchie---xanax reaches the peak blood value in about 2 hrs. after taking--and about 4hrs. when the "effects" wear off. (this is different than the half-life of a drug--which is how long it takes the byproducts of the drug to be eliminated by the body). xanax is primarily used as an anxiety reliever. It can treat the withdrawl symptoms from alcohol. It is entirely possible that your husband is telling the truth. The major problem comes when alcohol and xanax are taken at the same time--that can be dangerous, depending how much of each drug is taken--each one is potentiated.

xanax is a very useful drug when taken as it is intended--for the purposes that are intended. This is very important. If not--one can become dependent on the drug. This is true for many drugs--not just xanax. Any drug can be abused if not taken properly.

dandylion
Thanks Dandy,

I didn't not believe him, I just didnt understand how the drug works. I remember when he was first prescribed it and he did mix the two and was a whacked out mess. When I confronted him about it, he quit and it was obvious he quit. I haven't seen that mess of a person again. My thought was that perhaps the xanax makes him a little weird because he swears he wasnt drunk on Thanksgiving and that I have trouble believing because of the way he was behaving. I guess I just don't need to be concerned whether he did or didn't, whether he is or isnt and remain focused on caring for myself and my boys.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Katchie---xanax ALONE does not typically make people wierd---alcohol and psychoactive drugs together can make people zorked out---because of the potentiation. I can't speculate, here, about what was going on with your husband on Thanksgiving, of course.........

dandylion
Old 01-01-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ahh yes, read my story if you would like. The two mixed turn people into a raving mess, hence the reaaon i need a divorce!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mixing benzos and alcohol is also a very good way to kill yourself. Super dangerous.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've seen it, mixing alcohol and benzo is a bad
combo. Problem is that it is a highly addictive drug.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Benzos work on the same receptors in the brain that alcohol does.

Valium is often used in detox centers to help with the withdrawal symtoms for alcohol.

Benzos and alcohol together are a very slippery slope.

It sounds like a mess.