The shame of being the parent of an addict

Old 06-15-2004, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The shame of being the parent of an addict

One of the first things I had to get over when my daughter, now 24, went to rehab was the embarrassment of having an addict for a daughter. Our family has always been prominent in town and the family was shocked and decided to let no one know. I was busy having a breakdown so that I did not notice the attitude of total secrecy and shame. In this prominent circle, however, I know of many other children that have problems with addiction, their parents don't ever talk about it, either. I have finally learned that addiction is an equal opportunity employer. I can truly say that I no longer care about social standing in the community..what ever happens, happens withut my imput. I do still live a semi-hermit life. For a long time I would just hole up in the master bedroom and sleep. But now I am making every effort to change...to get out more in the public. Pray for me, that i accomplish my goal and earn my peace of mind. I have learned that social standing is nothing when compared to peace of mind and happiness...and here is a real eye opener..no one really cares...they just take a kind of comfort that if it can happen to one of us...it is alright that it happens to them..an old misery loves company mind set.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

When sharing some info with my neighbor (our sons were/are friends-age 12 at the time) thinking that as I share this info, he could be prepared for any questions that his son may have. (family member not married and having a baby)

My neighbor put it to me this way....

Hey life happens
Old 06-16-2004, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

There IS NO SHAME!

Talking/sharing is what saves us. Sounds like you could start a decent sized Al-anon group - - -

[sad smile] - I vividly remember my mom telling me when I was a young teen and my father had come home drunk, with no car cuz he'd lost it: "Now DON'T TELL ANYONE."
I remember her telling me about something called "AA" that could maybe help him stop drinking - but he couldn't go cuz he was "Too Important" and "People Would Talk." At that point in time, he was a VP of a major world-wide corporation.

15 yrs later when I realized *I* had a drinking problem, i knew i could not go to this AA thing cuz it must be filled with all sorts of "undesirables".
So I kept drinking + using.

8 yrs after that, I literally crawled into my 1st AA meeting.
Imagine my surprise when I saw the woman whos office I cleaned!
In the 12 yrs I've been in the program, I've met doctors, surgeons, lawyers, as well as homeless people - and everyone in between.
The one person who took me under his wing that nite was a scary-looking biker dude. He prob'ly saved my life.

Alcoholism doesn't care *who* it affects, doesn't care what the person's status is, how old they are, how they look.

"Not Talking About It" and/or feeling ashamed cuz someone we love is alcoholic - - - - [sigh] - it just helps it grow.

It has been SO FREEING for me to be able to TALK about it! About MY problems, and here in Al-anon about my AH's problems - oh wait - HE has no problem! sorry, i forgot.
I come here as well to talk about MY PROBLEMS. (glad I caught that!)

Blue
Old 06-16-2004, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Frannie, we have much in common, including the "hush it up" attitude. In response to that I also devolved into a "semi-hermit" lifestyle. At first it seemed to be due to shame followed by blame and all of it heaped on me by me. Before long I didn't even notice that I was not returning calls or even answering the phone, it had become natural...a way of life. I have found the courage to change (to coin a phrase) as you have and although the change seems slow in coming I am no longer devolving I am evolving. My life seems to revolve around the positive rather than the negative. It has spread beyond the initial problems concerning my son into all other areas of my life. I have finally learned to make lemonade out of life's lemons. When I rise each day it is with eagerness rather than dread. I realize I am riding on a wave that may dissapate but that realization inspires me find ways to keep the wave going. Anything is better than secluding myself and I strive to never forget that...to face fears rather than hide from them. I relish each and every day and thank the Powers that Be that al-anon exists and is strong. It's strength finds its source in you and in me.....keep coming back!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't worry, I will keep coming back...this is the first time that I have found answers and support from any place. It amazes me how much love and support flows from these pages or i guess i should say screens. I am actually glad to be able to get on the site and see what has happened. I get on the site several times a day. I wish everyone knew about this site...I could shout it to the heavens. I just kind of stumbled onto the site while searching the web for alanon chat groups. I have never been able to totally hibernate because I teach high school...and in this town that means that you usually have everyone in class at some time or another. My students keep me distracted from my problems sometimes and i try to always be a positive and Christian example for them. I don't discuss my daughter's problems...that is my burden not theirs. I hope they never have to learn to deal with what i have gone through. Thanks for the support.