Just got home from Al Anon.....

Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just got home from Al Anon.....

I left my alcoholic boyfriend of almost two years right after Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was a disaster-he got really drunk and was verbally abusive to his 8 year old. I just couldn't take it anymore. I was living with him but last summer his drinking was out of control ( he binge drinks scotch or vodka straight out of the bottle) and I moved out and got my own place. After I moved out, he started seeing a therapist...once a week. We reconciled because we were "hopeful" that he was getting help and I continued going to Al Anon meetings. He started right back with the drinking. I realized that he doesn't love me-he loves what I do for him- his first love is his next drink. I ended it on 12/2. It's over. It's pouring rain and I just got home from my Al Anon meeting and he left a suitcase of mine and some miscellaneous items outside my door and everything is soaked. I never requested them back-I didn't even know they were at his house. My brother is sober and told me that his actions were very angry and not to contact him-he's looking for a response from me. I'm feeling very hurt that he just dumped my stuff-without any notification like a text or email. He's not going to engage me on this one.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Good on you!
You are taking steps to heal your life!

I'm sorry your personal belongings got soaked. I agree with your brother. The alcoholic is using this suitcase as a hook to pull you back into the drama.

Sometimes the best response is no response.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your brother is right. He is simply trying to engage you. Even a negative response is a response. Stay in your personal good space, and ignore this. Yes...not right that he disrespects your belongings. But not worth the effort to engage.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Wet things is a small price to pay to get rid of him. You have a wise and loving brother. Don't waste another thought on your ex and have a great family Christmas x
Old 12-22-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Scout! I'm sorry you found your soaking wet belongings left on the door. Hopefully, this will be the last time he tries to engage you or prompt you into some sort of reaction.