recovery centers in the NW - can we talk about this here?

Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lakeside starts with breakfast, 15 minutes daily reading, lecture, group therapy, lunch, lecture, therapy, dinner, movie, meetings. There is meditation twice a day for those that want to attend. All other activities are mandatory. This changes on weekends only. Visiting is Saturday AND Sunday. The idea behind the lectures is to follow with group therapy to discuss the lecture if there are any comments/concerns/misunderstandings. I didn't feel like there were too many lectures. That never occurred to me. I never thought of it. I actually enjoyed it.

If you are foolish enough, you can always find drinking and drugging in a rehab. There is some fool willing to jump out a window to get it. Depending on the severity of your infraction, you can get kicked out.

Anyway certainly I would prefer Betty Ford, But places that are upward of 50k$ for a month don't take blue cross blue shield. Hahahaha. Also again you can only gain what you put into the program. Regardless of what you pay for it. Money doesn't buy sobriety. The real work comes when you leave your rehab and practice the tools you have learned. It is not unusual to find people that are in and out of rehabs.

I have slipped five times in 10 weeks. I am now on day 10 clean. This is a testament of my weak will, not my rehab.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I cant personally recommend any rehabs in your area, but I would suggest looking for one that offers as much personal therapy as possible, focus on training in psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral approaches that can become invaluable tools once a person is back in the real world.

My husband was in rehab for drugs a little over a year and half ago. We chose one that was based heavily on what I have mentioned above. Also focused on nutrition, spiritual counseling, meditation, recreational activities that fit in with recovery. His rehab did not use the 12 step approach, but some incorporate both if having that support is important to your family. My husbands rehab also offered a lot of support for me. They assigned me a therapist, and had us begin marriage counseling when he was about 6 weeks into rehab (he stayed 3months). I had to use Skype for part of my therapy sessions and it worked great. I did actually relocate for about 6 weeks to go through the marriage counseling with him. His rehab was in Southern California, and we live in Arizona. 3 months away was hard, but I think it gave him the best chance. He now only uses therapy, and of course all the techniques he learned to cope with stress, and put focus on his health.

I did what you are doing.... while he was actively using I did research and also with input from a doctor narrowed it down to a few options, then gave him a short recap of each and told him to pick. He went with the one I thought was best as he was not in shape to be making serious decisions at that time. So I just wanted to say do not feel bad. There are huge differences in rehabs. As someone noted above... some are not providing proper living conditions, have a very low staff/ patient ratio, don't include newer approaches to dealing with addiction, etc. Treatment should be tailored to what your husband needs (underlying issues met) and with consideration to what will get him the most excited and engaged in treatment.

I know it is confusing... been there.