Bringing it back up for the new newcomers
Old 12-24-2003, 12:23 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

bringing to the top

Old 06-17-2004, 10:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Paused

These are great ideas! Thanks for sharing them. I just seem to also try and get more involved at my church. It seems there is always something going on that I can jump into.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:32 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Okay, I admit, I've been "trying" to do this, but honestly, I fall short.
So...........I was in a store recently and saw a magazine lying on the counter (free for the taking). It was magazine that listed all the events in our county such as festivals, fairs, etc. as well as advertisments of course.
Funny thing is that there have been many many times that I have suggested doing such things w/ the kids - but of course AH never wanted too so we just didn't.
Well, I've been through the magazine with a pen in hand and have jotted down the dates and events on my calendar! I'M taking the kids this year!!!
They are getting older and I know that it won't be long before they don't want to be seen in public w/ mom (lol) so I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Still baby-stepping - but on my way to getting my life back!
Old 06-19-2004, 07:56 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That was a big step, Standing Strong, and I know that you and your kids will have fun. The thing is, WE hold the key to our happiness, not anyone else, and I know I wasted a lot of years waiting for other people to make me happy. Today, I am one of the happiest people I know, and it came from me taking the lead, deciding what was fun for me, and if others joined in that was great, but if not I still had fun rather than forego the pleasure.

This will also teach your kids to have fun, regardless of how dad is doing. That's a great lesson for them too, and what a nice way to learn it.

Hugs
Ann
Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Just wanting to draw attention to this fine post/thread! I think a lot of us forget sometimes that we all need to have fun and smile!
let's have some fun!!!!!! And tell us all about it!
Old 03-10-2005, 05:54 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

101 Ways

101 Ways To Get High Without Drugs

Seventh-graders in Felton, CA, were asked to make a list of reasons why someone might use drugs. Students responded: boredom, fear, curiosity, escape, family problems, peer pressure, etc., and stated that everyone experiences these things at one time or another. Then students were asked how they might deal with these things WITHOUT using drugs, and this list was compiled.

Theresa
    www.iwantrecovery.com
    Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
      # 48 (permalink)  

I want to add a few more fun things, or at least they can relax you, especially if you have kids, but even if you don't!

Color with crayons in a coloring book or get coloring pages from educational websites. Sitting for half an hour with your kids and doing some coloring yourself can be fun and surprisingly relaxing. Also painting with those cheap watercolor paint sets instead of the crayons, and of course, making stuff with Play-Doh.

Find a new recipe and making it from scratch.

Making your own pizzas with kids can be fun.
    Old 11-07-2009, 03:56 AM
      # 49 (permalink)  
    Ann
    Nature Girl

This thread began in 2002, and is a little out of date with some broken links and members no longer here...but it's still good suggestion so I'll not put it back in the archives, but instead hope it helps a newcomer find healthy ways to distract themself from obsession.
    Old 11-07-2009, 06:06 AM
      # 50 (permalink)  

Took my son and his friends to the highschool football game last night - that was fun.
    Old 11-07-2009, 06:18 AM
      # 51 (permalink)  

Spending a lazy saturday morning laying around chatting with friends...this is fun!
    Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 AM
      # 52 (permalink)  

Ann
    Thank you so much for the list. I have always known I should do this. Get on with MY life. I feel like a prisoner in my own house. I am like you were. That phone is like my life line to my son. A friend called last night, invited me over. I told her yes. Then today, I am still home. I had changed my mind. I feel like, who wants to be around me. I am sad all the time and most times end up talking about my son. My friend says she does not mind. It is ok. She is here for me. Now that I have read your list. I am going to call her and go.
    Thank you again
    Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 AM
      # 53 (permalink)  

thank you...it encouraged me...i feel like i am moving so slow...in recovery and in starting new things...but i just did my first painting...found a painting class...and am now living in a place with a beach and shells to collect...and although living in a house under construction by my husband (when & if he has time as he is the provider now for the first time in 38 years...and I am not working because it was not working and we lost all...so am getting better and deciding whether to stay or go)...and with a daughter who is not in recovery. I am collecting handicrafts for very little money and making the unfinished living quarters look better with color and small investments in bright tableclothes...and colored glasses...and I am doing my work...reading, on my depression and anxiety meds, getting english classes...but it is clear to him that for the first time, I won't be the breadwinner...and i am learning that if i want to travel...it will be by myself...so getting myself going and doing it...bus day trips are inexpensive in south america...and enjoying my writing and correspondence and friends who can discuss good and interesting topics without having to be right...and working to stay in no contact with mother and siblings (as mother is clearly a late stage alcoholic and siblings are in denial) and now looking very closely at hubby and my relationship--and wondering what the best thing to do for me in recovery rather than trying with adult children who are either codependents or addicts not in recovery...and i am trying to jump start my life and not to feel that 58 is too late to do anything different.
    Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 AM
      # 54 (permalink)  

i too tend to isolate myself...especially after waking up to realize that addiction is rampant in my family and that my family of origin is shunning me because i have all these problems and they "appear" to be perfect...but then, so did I until i went into recovery work and chose to become more real and less fake and superficially successful at the cost of my soul. I just hope I am making progress...because it is so not what I was raised to be...and the very obvious issues that addiction bring and that the immediate family doesn't "seem" to be willing to discuss or be open about make me doubt my sanity at times. My outside life...seems sane...
    Old 05-20-2013, 11:19 AM
      # 55 (permalink)  

Taking this to the top...
    Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 AM
      # 56 (permalink)  

Now that AH is not living with us, having the kids have friends over. Watching them build (and helping) blanket forts for sleepovers.
    Old 05-20-2013, 11:55 AM
      # 57 (permalink)  

Ann,

What does "paused" mean under someone's name?
    I wonder cause this thread started in 2002 and I am curious.
    Does one pause oneself?

Beth
    Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 AM
      # 58 (permalink)  

Thank you Theresa A., wherever you are.

Beth
    Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 PM
      # 59 (permalink)  
    I AM CANADIAN

Wink

Originally Posted by Godismyrock View Post
    Now that AH is not living with us, having the kids have friends over. Watching them build (and helping) blanket forts for sleepovers.
    i have my sons birthday party....last party was the 2 kids and all there friends for a swimming party and a TIE DYE t shirt that they make....

this year..drive in and tent party after...if they can last...(and me too.lol)

big brunch in the morning....
    Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 PM
      # 60 (permalink)  

Alot of good suggestions!