OT - Interesting criminal charges for allowing other to DWI

Old 12-06-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stoic

OT - Interesting criminal charges for allowing other to DWI

Teens Arrested for Letting Friend Drive Drunk in Fatal Crash

Wow! Long story short if you don't feel like reading it...two 17 year olds are being charged with allowing a 17 year old friend to drive away while she was drunk...where she hit a tree and died.

I think it would be a tragedy if these two kids begin their adult lives with a criminal mark on their records for this. There is no way they should be held responsible for another person's drinking.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, it seems a bit off, but it appears they were charged with misdemeanors. That's hardly a big deal in the context of a person dying.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry but that is nuts.
Next, we all will be charged with murder when we can't stop our alkie spouses from driving drunk

What the hell happened to personal responsibility?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my opinion, these boy should be charged. DUI is a serious criminally offense. It seems some people treat these crimes as traffic violations. But they are not.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well many of the old days at work Christmas drinking parties are a thing of the past

all businesses now know

if one gets drunk at the work Christmas party and hurts someone driving home

the business will also get sued

even if the drunk driver kills themselve

their family will sue the work place that supplied the party, booze or either or both
Old 12-07-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ixi

So anytime someone leaves a bar drunk let's throw every patron at that bar in jail!

I'd be surprised if this sticks. A young girl (and let's be honest, white and middle class) died, and darnit, something needs to be done! At the very least, I bet kids in that community are thinking twice about hosting parties for the time being.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ixi

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
well many of the old days at work Christmas drinking parties are a thing of the past

all businesses now know

if one gets drunk at the work Christmas party and hurts someone driving home

the business will also get sued

even if the drunk driver kills themselve

their family will sue the work place that supplied the party, booze or either or both
That actually depends on the state. Some of us still make people take personal responsibility for their actions.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I think there's a difference in holding a bar accountable for continuing to serve an obviously drunk patron and charging two kids who didn't stop a friend from driving drunk. They didn't serve her the alcohol and while it would have been nice had they attempted to keep her from driving off, they didn't have a legal duty to do so.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

YES, Upset - DUI is an incredibly serious crime and I am cheering out loud for the prosecutors who are trying drunk drivers who cause fatal accidents for murder one. I hope that will work at some point although it hasn't yet.

But charging other people for it? Upset, that would be like charging you for not stopping your son from gang banging and robbing drug houses.

I am so sick and tired of people trying to put blame on friends or businesses or even bartenders when someone gets a DUI.

Here's how it works: to get a DUI, you have to a) drink and b) get behind the wheel. In that order.

NOBODY EVER forces you to do that. It's a CHOICE. You make that choice, it's YOURS. YOU and nobody else carries the responsibility and should suffer the consequences.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Those 2 teens might have prevented her death had they taken some action, like calling the police. Better to be alive with a DUI on your record and even loose some friends.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post

it would have been nice had they attempted to keep her from driving off, they didn't have a legal duty to do so.
and once again we must be careful
it is against the law to stop anyone (even husband or wife)
from going to where they wish to go

forgot the name of the charge (just below kidnapping)

PS
I don't believe in some of these laws
too much government these days
soon they will be telling us which days we can sober up on (Mon and Fri only)
just stating the facts as I know them

MM
Old 12-07-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Many years ago I attended a White Sox game with my ex-husband. I will never forget it. A man and his 15 year old son ran onto the field and punched the KC 1rst base coach leaving him hearing impaired in one ear. When it went to court the Judge gave him probation and no jail time. People were outraged. The Judge blamed the beer venders who over served him at the game. He admitted to drinking 6-8 tall beers at the ball park. Society needs to step up in the war on drinking and driving. They need do enforce those DRAM shop laws.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=lillamy;4333970]
But charging other people for it? Upset, that would be like charging you for not stopping your son from gang banging and robbing drug houses.

True enough but my son never was charged with a DUI and has a fairly good driving record.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Upsetnneedhelp;4334085]
Originally Posted by lillamy View Post

True enough but my son never was charged with a DUI and has a fairly good driving record.
The point is not how good your son's driving record is; the point is that YOU are not responsible for your son's crimes any more than these teens are responsible for their friend driving drunk.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The girls parents are just looking for someone to blame. They can't blame their perfect daughter
Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ixi

The girls parents are just looking for someone to blame. They can't blame their perfect daughter
To be fair, it's a criminal charge, not a lawsuit (yet). The girl's parents likely had nothing to do with it.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So I guess none of you guys were at a party or bar when somebody that drank over the BAC limit got his keys and drove home and if that did happen you all would have pleaded with him on hand and knee to not drive instead of having another drink at the bar and ignoring him

Almost every bar/club or party I went to this happened usually more then once

The former president of the Flroida chapter for MADD, Debra Oberlin was arrested for dui..blew a .23
Old 12-07-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ixi View Post
To be fair, it's a criminal charge, not a lawsuit (yet). The girl's parents likely had nothing to do with it.

I can't believe the state would charge them with something...disgusting imo
Old 12-07-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Stoic

I am surprised no one mentioned it...

But if it somehow becomes ok to blame a non-drinking party for the actions of a drunk...how would that affect the entire philosophy of this forum?

Telling people to just "detach and let your A do what they will" might lead to charges because YOU, their spouse, didn't somehow prevent them from going out to get another 12-pack that night when they caused a death in an accident.

Charging someone with criminal charges because someone they were near did something stupid while inebriated is a cop-out, pure and simple. It's admitting defeat in the face of alcohol...saying, "Oh well, this person wasn't in charge of themselves because they had alcohol, so we'll just put the blame on someone else".
It's a travesty, and utter bs.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

resigned, something needs to change as drunk driving doesn't seem to be declining much. These boys knew she was drunk and could of grabbed her keys. Hopefully, these types of charges will increase. I would like to see an increase in training to those who sell alcohol in stores and bars. It's not right to sell liquor to a person who is staggering around yet it happens every day. People with 2,3,4 DUI's are a menace to society and should be locked up for 10+ years.