change AH passcode or leave it alone? What would u do?

Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

change AH passcode or leave it alone? What would u do?

As most of you know on here that my AH is currently in jail awaiting trial for assault against me. Maybe some of you also remember he locked me out of the bank account in October to power trip. The account is only in his name, but he always allowed me access before. Now my moral question to you all....

I am tempted to change his login password to his online banking so I can gain some control with the bills (we have automatic bill pay through his account) and know what's going on. Would you change the passcode to gain access or leave it alone?! Please let me know your thoughts.....
Old 12-05-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What I would do and what I would admit to doing might be 2 different things. Sorry, can't help.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Could that be considered illegal? If it is in his name only it would seem it is his account. How would you feel if your alcoholic husband stole from you? Us co-dependents should not stoop now to the alcoholics behavior.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you are legally married and I am certain you have joint legal obligations.

that is a real good question, the fact that it is solely in his name, makes me question the legality of doing that, you might end up in hot water for tampering with it, I don't know..........

Are you currently on speaking terms with him?

if you don't need the money i would leave it alone, if you do need the money, perhaps enlisting an attorney help and getting a power of attorney would be the way to go..........

you really don't want to end up his cellmate, do you?

If you always play above the board, you will not have remorse, or legal complications.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ixi

I would first 1) make sure there would be no legal consequences (I have my guesses on that but I'll keep them to myself) and 2) think about the possible effect it could have on your safety when he finds out.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do not mean to be harsh by this...

Do NOT change his password. That is his account in his name. It is not a joint account. You have no right to it. Tampering with someone else's bank account is illegal.

If you need to find out about finances, you might consult an attorney first. If you are on speaking terms you might ask him for access, but since he is awaiting trial for assault on you I would not count on him.

Have you been able to establish an income source other than him?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If this situation was reversed people here would say to call the police on the alcoholic stealing. It's interesting that codies share some of the exact same traits as the alcoholic. Except we do not drink booze to excess.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upsetnneedhelp View Post
If this situation was reversed people here would say to call the police on the alcoholic stealing. It's interesting that codies share some of the exact same traits as the alcoholic. Except we do not drink booze to excess.
Hence the word CO-DEPENDENT....it what we do best!

I know what I would do if I needed to feed my baby and keep a roof over his head.....hugs!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, so far I am seeing a big NO. :-) I do not want to get in any legal trouble; so I will leave it alone. I am not sure that an attorney would be worth the cost since its entirely his account. I have been applying for work but nothing so far. I just don't know if our bills are being paid anymore. That is why I brought this thread up. I appreciate all your honesty. There was an automatic order of protection for me, so we are not communicating at this time. Keep it coming....
Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

the account is in HIS name only. let's reverse it....say you were otherwise engaged and he knew your access code. would you be cool with HIM logging into to YOUR account, changing YOUR passcode and doing whatever with the funds? if you feel you need those funds, go the legal route. do not do anything underhanded.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

you really don't want to end up his cellmate, do you?
Sorry, but this made me giggle. If there's anything worse than living with an addict, it would be living with one in a 10x10 foot cell.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I would change it to make sure the bills were getting paid. You may want to do the opposite of me though.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry i didn't realize the situation. I would leave the account alone. He sounds dangerous

Last edited by Flavia2; 12-05-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Sorry, I didn't realize there was abuse involved
Old 12-05-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This situation you bring up is a interesting one. What is moral and what is legal do not always go together. The justice system is extremely flawed. I have huge resentments towards the US legal system that is draconian in nature. I must work on this. Sorry, your post brings up a lot of emotions.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wouldn't do it if it were my husband's acct. I can also tell you that we have seperate accounts. After his accident, on a sober day (imagine that) we put a living will in place, a will and a POA. I can access his account now and pay bills but I can not remove money right from his account into mine.

What we do as a married, concenting couple is different. If your name isn't on it, you're out of gas.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As far as bills not being met, he should have thought about that before he plowed you in the face.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was in a somewhat similar situation. I had lots of anxiety that would spiral from the bills aren't being paid to I'm going to end up bankrupt and homeless. I did not end up doing anything to his bank account. An attorney friend gave me the advice to keep my dealings clean in order not to discredit myself. My T stressed taking things one day at a time. It's another situation where you have no control and it feels awful. Good time to practice al-anon principles if you're into that.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Sorry, but this made me giggle. If there's anything worse than living with an addict, it would be living with one in a 10x10 foot cell.
Actually the cells are even worse than that they are usually 6X9.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well, I will keep myself from escalating the situation by leaving it alone. I know when he gets out he will be shocked I didn't touch it! Can't use that against me. Just will keeping applying for jobs and pray things are getting paid. I am also sure my AH likes being in there....no more responsibility. He doesn't like having to be a productive adult.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Banking might be different where you are, but if you have enough information to change the passcode, don't you have enough info to actually look IN the account? Or not? If your primary concern is knowing that bills are being deducted (or not) then wouldn't looking be enough?

Forgive me if its totally different where you are...just where I live to change the passcode means you have full access anyway...