A fun time ruined by an alcoholic

Old 06-12-2004, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

A fun time ruined by an alcoholic

Hey everybody, I'm a newcomer...but I was wondering if anyone was interested in sharing a time that was ruined by an alcoholic friend/relative.
I have had lots of fun times affected or ruined this way, but one of the worst had to be....

8 Mile Movie Premier (winter 2002):

My brother, 18, and myself, 19 were to meet at the theatre in the city to see Eminem's (were huge fans!) first movie "8 Mile", we had been waiting forever, and were fortunate enough to get tickets to opening night. My brother had brought my Dad too, so I was like cool. My Dad came because he was bored at this time cause he didn't have a job, because he lost his driver's liscence for driving impaired. Anyway, when my bro and Dad showed up he was half pissed as usual, but whatever. We get into the movie and after about a 30 minutes my Dad was like a little kid, in and out of the theatre, and blabbing away throughout the whole movie. It was so embarassing. I was constantly worrying about him and not about what I wanted too, the movie (Kinda like most times). People were telling him to shut up etc. At one point in the movie after the gang of black dudes kick Eminem's ass and then back off...my Dad yells "Ya...scared of the white man!". And the worst thing was there was half a football team of black guys in the theatre, so I was f*****' embarassed and worried. (My Dad is NOT a racist, by any means, he was just really drunk). Luckily we were at the back and got out right quick after it ended.

Anyway that movie was ruined. After the show he driving around the parking lot drunk with no licsense, with a 40oz of Vodka drinking....then my bro tells me on the way home my Dad was offering him weed. lol

F*** anyways I get tired of this **** sometimes. I love my Dad with all my heart and would love it if he would quit drinking so much.

Anyways thanks to all who read this, peace

P.S. Feel free to comment on this story too, I'd like that...even if you laugh at it.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi,

welcome to the boards. for myself i have learned alanon isnt about the A... but about our own recovery from its affects. sure we have all had things turn out rather than we would have wanted in life. especially if we have an A in our lives. go to a few meetings. the face to face kind. it really helps. they will give you a venue to vent the frustration, the anger, the hurt, the disappointment. and you will feel more acceptance and love than you have ever known. strangers who know where you are, and where you can go thru this program.

best of luck to you
quietsins
Old 06-13-2004, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Deep-press,
Hi and welcome - I've had a few cringeworthy moments with my A - I'm not sure that I'd be laughing too hard at the thought that my Dad was offering my brother an illegal substance, whatever it was... :smileeek:

Anyway, stick around and have a read.
HugZ
Sandra