Need to know I'm not crazy, advice needed

Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Unhappy Ruby

My husband did the same to me ....... Its his way of making himself feel better about himself.no program= no recovery which means no HEALing
Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

YES, YES, no program=no recovery= no healing.

dandylion
Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi Ruby

Congratulations for working on your recovery and staying sober despite what is going on at home. . Being a double winner in early sobriety is tough but supporting and running a household with some little ones while being abused on top of it? Kudos.
I do not have any words of wisdom but just wanted to give you a hug and confirm what the others said that you are NOT crazy. I am also concerned about the mental abuse and hope that it does not escalate and become physical. I agree with Fandy about booting him out but you are probably not ready yet. Please call the DV hotline though and see what options are out there and have a quick exit plan in case he starts flipping out.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Recovered

I was in the same boat.

Here is what I did:
1. I disengaged from AH and his side of the street. DISENGAGE. I couldn't worry about AH or his issues. I HAD to get SOBER. With or without him.
2. I worked the steps in AA.
3. I worked the steps in Alanon.

AH either had to get sober or leave. 18 months after I got my AA white chip, he got his. We went from "definitely getting a divorce" to "we are better than ever". We are now sober 4.5 years and 3 years, respectively.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Hugs Ruby.
I'm a double winner as well. I am also very active in my recovery program. Your post is a great reminder that just being sober does not work for 99.9% of us.
I'm gratefulf or your post, and my active plan for my life sober.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
I was in the same boat.

Here is what I did:
1. I disengaged from AH and his side of the street. DISENGAGE. I couldn't worry about AH or his issues. I HAD to get SOBER. With or without him.
2. I worked the steps in AA.
3. I worked the steps in Alanon.
Black-belt-ninja-fu Awesome.

AH either had to get sober or leave. 18 months after I got my AA white chip, he got his. We went from "definitely getting a divorce" to "we are better than ever". We are now sober 4.5 years and 3 years, respectively.
I have seen and heard this over and over and over and over and over . . ..

IF BOTH are each WORKING THEIR OWN PROGRAM . . . .

"we are better than ever"

mfanch, I hope you are sponsoring some folks and hope they understand how fortunate they are.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Want to just say thanks to Ruby and the other double winners, whose posts reinforce every day the importance of having a programme in recovery. You all rock, the strength you show is phenomenal...