thanksgiving

Old 11-29-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Tofurkey? Blech. Gimme my meat!

Next year, turducken?

We had a great day with just the hubby, me, three of our five kids (the other two were with their mother), my wifey and her son, and seven people from hubby's airframes shop. One married couple, one single girl, and one engaged couple with the awkward girl who drank entirely too much. Thankfully she just talked too much as a result. I stayed in the kitchen cooking and then cleaning up, so that I limited my interactions with her. Still worlds better than Thanksgiving with my FOO use to be!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My AH's brother and wife came up to our home, along with their two dogs and their parrot. Wednesday afternoon was difficult, as the wine was flowing quickly. My daughter and I were the sober ones, but I did not step in to manage or regulate anyone's behaviour. I made sure that we ate early on Thursday (dinner was great), so there might be fewer issues. It worked to some extent, however my SIL apologized profusely for her husband's comments (pretty benign, actually), so I explained what life is like around here on most days. So if she shares this with her husband, the sh+t will probably hit the fan very soon.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

breaking news: "Scientists Puzzled by Sudden Shi* Storm That Engulfed Northwestern Arizona This Afternoon"

dandylion
Old 11-30-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was looking forward to having a nice Thanksgiving with my AHGF's family at her son's new house, but by 11AM after she talked with her elderly mother, the GF had already snuck a drink and as usual was transformed from a normally wonderful fun gal (when she's sober) to an angry argumentative adverse complaining demanding horrible sourpuss (when she drinks). The whole 2 hour drive to his house was hell, and for the next hour or two at the house it was all i could do to not just go home - but i didn't want to make a bad situation worse for the rest of the family so i stayed quiet and just avoided her and waited for the alcohol to wear off.

As she sobered up, she magically transformed back into the woman i love to be with and we all had a great time from then on and enjoyed the rest of the day and evening. It started out horribly but i'm glad i stuck it out as i had a good time in the end.

She knows she has a big alcohol problem and has been going to AA meetings a few times a week and an alcohol counselor once a week for the past year, but it's just not working.

But this woman is the female version of Jekyll & Hyde and sometimes i wonder why i stay on this roller-coaster ride.

Last edited by SkyGazer; 11-30-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 11-30-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SkyGazer--Am I to understand that you spent Thanksgiving with your Husband's girlfriend??? I must have read your post 10times--but still can't figure it out!

Help?

dandylion
Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
SkyGazer--Am I to understand that you spent Thanksgiving with your Husband's girlfriend??? I must have read your post 10 times--but still can't figure it out! Help?
Sorry, i meant to type AGF (Alcoholic GirlFriend) - dunno why i stuck that H in there.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was safely across the ocean from Xah, FOO, and the entire holiday. All the drama will have to consolidated into one two-week Court-ordered US holiday.

Just love how a perfect stranger - the judge - can order me to leave my new home and deny me access to my US former home for Christmas. All because he thinks the kids should get time with with their father ( one has refused to go, another is crying about wanting to stay here for Christmas).

But I am getting ahead of myself.

Thanksgiving? Didn't miss it at all.

Sorry to sound so bitter. I am thankful for no Thanksgiving though!
Old 11-30-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

SkyGazer, like you say yourself, it has horrible moments but the good parts are really good. That's why you stay on the ride.

Trouble is, in my experience with my ah, the horrible parts start happening more often and more horribly. And you stop enjoying the good bits because you can't shake the way the horrible tears you up while the A goes around like they are king of the mountain and you are obviously the one with the problem.

Many of us get off the ride when we realize we don't feel like feeling scared and sick all the time.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well, the family made it home safely and when they called, gave no indication that they had talked about H's A issues. So, no stormy weather this evening in NW Arizona. I guess that part of me was really hoping to have it out in the open so that we/I could move forward.
Still, tonight I was informed that I must have brought something in that was nasty on my shoes. He had cleaned the floor and found a dirty spot. I am thinking OCD, now as last week I could not wash dishes correctly. Can this develop from Alcoholism? Just bizarre.
I did my counselor friend a favor and picked him up from the tire store and brought him to his apartment. Dusty, dirty floor, and unmade bed. Sweet!