O/T - Good Holiday Gifts on a budget

Old 11-26-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T - Good Holiday Gifts on a budget

Thought we could throw around some ideas of good or unique gifts that aren't too expensive!

My input:

This takes a bit of time, but it's worth it. I would look up sayings/quotes/passages, etc, that I knew a particular person would like. I copied and pasted them from whatever site I found them on into a document. Then made sure the writing was uniform size, color, font, removed any links in words, etc (personally love monotype corsiva). Made sure that every saying/quote was contained on a page (meaning, it didn't run from the end of page one to the beginning of page two - needs to not be separated). Cut the quotes out like fortunes from a cookie. Folded them up, put them in a nice container that depended on the taste of the person I gave it to.

Got a lot of the containers at thrift store. Got one at Marshall's really cheap. Can decorate. Bows, spraypainting it, etc. One container I did looked really cool - I took pieces of masking tape small, covered box with them for texture, rubbed these awesome taupe metallic and alittle grey and black eyeshadows all over, sprayed with clear spray to seal. Looked really cool. You can do the same with tape and shoe polish, stain, paint, ink, etc. May need to seal some finishes. Might take some practice before you know how you like it though.

Here is one example I found online so you can see it:

PartiCraft (Participate In Craft): Faux Leather Technique

Never been to that blog before, but was the only good picture I could find. They also use a different tactic, embossing powder.

Another good one is from greatergood.com - "gifts that give more" (donate to a huge variety of causes, you can donate on someone's behalf, and either write it in a card, or print out the certificate you get with the donation via email for them).

Same site also has the MOST INTERESTING things from around the world - many of them made by hand from communities all over the world - and I believe that is from their fair trade gifts. You can find some great deals on some really unique and special items.

Thrift stores are another great place to check out depending on what kind of gift you are looking for and the stores around you. I know where I used to live, one had the coolest silver trinkets and accessories and such. Really pretty stuff, some quite vintage and beautiful.

I've put together baskets of small items before, that look really pretty. You can make it full of anything they like - coffee, tea, candles, beauty items, etc. And don't be afraid to make a mix and match basket! Doesn't necessarily have to be a theme! Wrap it up in cellophane and a bow or just a bow! Can often find basket (have also used other types of containers that they would like and reuse) at thrift or dollar store, can find cellophane and now at dollar store.

One theme that comes to mind that someone gave me one is "movies" with some dvds, popcorn, popcorn bags like at the movies, etc. They are thrift and got a deal on the dvds lol. It was great

Baskets or platters of baked goods are always good too. Can find baskets or plates/platters at dollar or thrift stores. If using disposable plate/platter make sure it's sturdy enough! Can reinforce bottom underneath with cardboard if wrapping in cellophane.

Please excuse typos. Kindle is doing what it wants today.

Anyone else?

Peace.

Last edited by OnawaMiniya; 11-26-2013 at 05:37 AM. Reason: spelling!!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I enjoy knitting stuff for my special people. Not huge stuff (NO SWEATERS!!!)but like, wristlets, scarves, infinity scarves (oooooooh!). Also I have no shame in grouponing. I like to do a candle/tea basket for aunties. Buying in bulk and divvying up amongst people (6 pack tea infusers) in little thrift store baskets or cute bags.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Clarification:

greatergood.com and greatergood.org are partners.

You can look to .org. But here is a link to .com, on the left you will see "Gifts that give more" as well as "fair trade":

Fair Trade - Gifts

Just to avoid confusion!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BodkinVanHorn View Post
I enjoy knitting stuff for my special people. Not huge stuff (NO SWEATERS!!!)but like, wristlets, scarves, infinity scarves (oooooooh!). Also I have no shame in grouponing. I like to do a candle/tea basket for aunties. Buying in bulk and divvying up amongst people (6 pack tea infusers) in little thrift store baskets or cute bags.
Oh, I love when I get knitted things! I have a family member who does this. And your suggestion to buy in bulk and split up is clever I'm subscribed to groupon lol though I haven't used it yet. Seems like the ones I'm interested in for myself or others come at the worst times lol! But they really do have some great deals!

So many ways to save money if you get a bit creative!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One more: if you can manage to put some money aside ahead of time, Black Friday is a great time to get things for a fraction of the regular price!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kids Hand Print Snowman Bulb Decor Gift for Christmas

We did these ornaments one year from the kids to every grandparent, aunt, uncle, etc. It was super cheap since all I needed was a dozen ornmaments (I got a big pack at Big Lots or Walmart) & some craft paint. We already had permanent markers, buttons, glue, etc to use for all the details they added. I made sure they were marked with the child's name & date & I love looking at them each year on everyone's trees, seeing how much their little hands have grown!

We wrapped them in tissue paper & put them into chinese box-style gift boxes that we got at the Dollar Tree. Super Cute!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ornament.jpg (40.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Firesprite that is gorgeous! What a nice gift and a cool idea. I always love things that have been made. Sentimental, from the heart. Took time. And I love the way you wrapped it up! How lovely!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

An idea for someone who loves to cook, especially if you also do. Get a zippered binder, and fill it with recipes. You can get page protectors if you're feeling fancy lol. I know my hand written recipe book is full of cake batter splatter and whatever else lol. I sooooo want to do this for someone, I'm hoping I have the time after moving (set up internet in time to print out recipes from online as well as ones of my own I've typed out, which I don't need internet for, but some of them I do need to look in my recipe book for, so I have to find it in the boxes!), and the money to get supplies and send it.

I imagine you can find a binder at a discount store or a thrift store if you are lucky. Doesn't have to have a zipper, but the one I want to make, I want to do that. If you are crafty with that kind of thing, really, you can make your own zippered binder for much cheaper!

Let's see if I can find a how-to....

Ahhh! All I see are tutorials on making a coupon binder! I'm talking about getting fabric, ribbon, elastic or buttons for closing pockets,a zipper, a regular old binder, and some thread/glue/etc! I'll post a tutorial if I find one. Because only when writing this post did I think to make my own binder. I'm sure I could figure out out but I like reading about things I've never made just to get tips for issues I may not forsee. I have a zippered binder, I'll have to take a good look at it lol.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ok...
How to Make a Zippered Binder | eHow

It's a start!

Not finding anything else on making one!

Would need to hide the edges inside with ribbon and/or by lining the inside with a fabric with a hemmed edge. And add pockets. And maybe a pen holder.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There's also the brownie in a jar thing. Or, cookies in a jar. For teachers, we've done hot chocolate in a jar and given them a really nice coffee mug with it.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice! What a great idea!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also, on the basket thing, we frequently do the "movie night" or "game night" in a basket as a group present for the family. My son is in boy scouts, so we'll buy boxes of microwave popcorn then split up the box. Put a couple packs in a basket with a few boxes of the $1 theater box candies, some nuts, a couple movies or games, or one of each, wrap it in cellophane & put a bow on the top. We either recycle baskets we already have or buy them at a garage sale. Total cost is probably $25-$30 for a family present.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Money is tight and I was thinking about doing a family gift for someone. Baskets are awesome. They look impressive, and you do have to put thought into them. It's a nice gift.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I used to do upholstery and contract sewing before I earned my teaching certificate, so I scrounge the thrift shops for decent fabric and trim to make pillows. We live in a rural area, so it is difficult to get out and get to a regular fabric store.