Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Sex offending in the family. Anyone have any experience with this?

Sex offending in the family. Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Please keep in mind....they may not have told the parents b/c they may suspect the parents are involved or that the parents would not take action or cover up action. They have a RESPONSIBILITY to report behavior that they deem to be suspicious. If it comes to nothing...great. If not, they reported it.

I have sincere doubts anyone who has ever worked in the field would consider the child (esp one that young) to be anything but a victim. I am not doubting you, just saying I am not sure you are getting the whole story here. Again, some of it seems vague.

I am certainly not trying to be critical, I am just hoping someone who cares will advocate for the poor child who has been exposed in some way, shape, or form to some very wrong behavior.

i Agree with you hopeful4 although i do remember a story in the news not too long ago about a 9 yr old being a labeled an offender (she was playing dr with another child) and she was then arrested for aggravated rape even the police said they felt ashamed arresting the little girl. idk what ever happened to the situation but she was just playing dr with other children and beign curious. even though inappropriate i don't think it should have lead to that point. way to traumatize a 9 yr old child
Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow..that is TERRIBLE! How sad. Instead of being so busy labeling her...maybe someone should take the time to learn where she was getting her Dr. skills from. That makes me so so sad.

I truly hope someone will advocate for this child, one better not rely on the system...that won't happen!

Originally Posted by thislonelygirl View Post
i Agree with you hopeful4 although i do remember a story in the news not too long ago about a 9 yr old being a labeled an offender (she was playing dr with another child) and she was then arrested for aggravated rape even the police said they felt ashamed arresting the little girl. idk what ever happened to the situation but she was just playing dr with other children and beign curious. even though inappropriate i don't think it should have lead to that point. way to traumatize a 9 yr old child
Old 11-26-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by Lulu39 View Post
What is the organisation your nephew has been referred to? PM me if you like. I seriously cannot believe that any organisation in NZ would be so backward as to refer a four year old child to a sex offender program. It's unethical and most likely illegal. Four year old children are victims not offenders. If the child has been referred to the Pastoral Counselling Institute, as well as a Sex Offenders program, the Pastoral Counselling Institute also provides Parenting Programs for parents whose "children have difficulty with social interaction, learning and behaviour." It might just be a way to get the kid safe and away from whoever is most likely abusing him.
He's been referred to a program called "well stop".

It use to just be called stop and provide programs for adults convicted of sexual crimes but from their website they have now branched out to provide programs for kids too who are acting out in sexually inappropriate ways.

We do have other agencies here in NZ who deal with victims of sexual abuse, including kids.

Earlier this year myself and my older sister had a few discussions about me trying to get custody of both the boys which to be honest would never happen. My parents would probably fight me tooth and nail, my dad would probably be the main force behind this. A sponsor of mine often use to say that if the kids weren't with them they would have to deal with their crazy marriage which they are incapable of doing. My father is actually like a child himself and my mother is the caretaker.

Last night as I was lying in bed I was just thinking about how powerless I am over this stuff. There is no solution really and the whole drama has been on going since my younger sister had her first child at 13 and my parents encouraged her to go through with the pregnancy as my mothers religious beliefs would not allow her to see my sister have a termination. She then went on to have the other 2 boys, before the age of 20 and has been pregnant a few time since. I once took her to get another termination myself a few years back and had an argument with the doctor about her having a tubal ligation so she would stop breeding.

I have also had numerous arguments with other professionals about putting my sister into a residential program. She is very sick mentally.

I encourage my mother to put the oldest girl in boarding school to get her out of the situation but she see' sit has abandoning the girl, rather than protecting her. My daughter has recently gone overseas so she can get out and experience the world and my mother reaction to this was to say 'she knows she can come back right?' Implying I was getting rid of her or something. My parents thinking is very screwy.

I appreciate all your replies
Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry. Hugs to you and all you are going through.

I hope you are able to find some peace and serenity very soon.