Laugh Off

Old 11-24-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My RA coworker (30 years sober) tells the story of how he would sneak out in the garage at night to drink after the family was asleep.

One night, as he was on his second bottle of rotgut red wine, the door opened and there stood his wife. Who said:

"Are. You.
STANDING.
In the GARAGE.
At TWO A M.
Drinking RED WINE.
Straight out of the bottle????"

He took one look at her and responded:

"No!"

That's denial for ya.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
My RA coworker (30 years sober) tells the story of how he would sneak out in the garage at night to drink after the family was asleep.

One night, as he was on his second bottle of rotgut red wine, the door opened and there stood his wife. Who said:

"Are. You.
STANDING.
In the GARAGE.
At TWO A M.
Drinking RED WINE.
Straight out of the bottle????"

He took one look at her and responded:

"No!"

That's denial for ya.
LMAO ... so pathetic aren't they?!

You just have to laugh... at least after the fact!
Old 11-24-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Hammer, I NEED the REST OF THOSE VERSES.

NOW.

Just PM them if they'll stir up too much of a hornet's nest. OR put a warning on the thread.

I've been taking myself too seriously. Seriously, I have.

ShootingStar1
Old 11-24-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShootingStar1 View Post
Hey Hammer, I NEED the REST OF THOSE VERSES.

NOW.

Just PM them if they'll stir up too much of a hornet's nest. OR put a warning on the thread.

I've been taking myself too seriously. Seriously, I have.

ShootingStar1
Just post them here... I allow you!

Dooooooo iiiittttttttttt!!!!
Old 11-24-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

They were doing a full revue on Friday before they took off to Granna's for the weekend.

There are dance and hand motions, too.

Shooting up, drinking, barfing. Von Trash is a fitting name.

Will ask daughter to write them out for you.

Another one of personal favorites is the Crazy Time Bomb Dance.

For when you find yourself Dancing on a Crazy Time Bomb waiting for it to go off.

I do have pix of that one, I will have to figure out to post it or something.

Do you do facebook?
Old 11-24-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No, haven't done Facebook yet. I can PM you e-mail contact info if you want it.

ShootingStar1
Old 11-24-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's probably best for everyone to stay off my FB... It's off the hook.

I'm like a guy at a nude beach... I just let it all hang out.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

I never did for years.

Just opened a page for putting pictures and travel plans on for the kid's vacation trip to DC this Summer.

But have ran across a lot of old friends, now.

Only person I put in to "friend" on it who did not respond . .. . . Mrs. Hammer. A-hole.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ugh... the rejection! lol
Old 11-24-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upsetnneedhelp View Post
At my sons 5th or 6th rehab the professionals there informed me that addiction was life or death for the addict and the family. Making jokes demeans the person who is suffering.

I thoroughly enjoy Mr. hammer's jokes. I'm sorry you find it demeaning. I would rather have a little humor in my life, than to continually cry over my life or death addiction.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love that Hammer's songs and jokes make it easier for his kids. I think he is showing them his love big time. Children are the collateral damage in an alcoholic family and I think anyone who puts their kids' needs first and can make things a little less scary for them is doing a great job.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you all fir the laughs. OMG I am laughing and need that NY book. Lol
Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I will just say i need laughter in my life to live. When i kick ah out for the night bc he is drunk i make sure my girls and i do something and have some sort of fun if not HIS disease is controlling who I am...no thanks.

Carry on Mr.H i think your funny and your humor has helped me through hard times.

Carry On Then......
Old 11-24-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Speaking as a former world class drunk who has been sober for a year and a half, there's not much I find funnier than a good joke about my past. I mean come on, the ER nurses threw away my bed sheets when they got me in the shower because my detox sweat smelled so bad. I ran up a $200 bar tab during a 90 minute layover. I can take a few jokes at my expense.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

at last night's AA meeting there was a LOT of laughter. a young guy was talking about going grocery shopping, and putting a bottle of wine under the peas in the freezer section so that at the end of shopping he could pick up a bottle of chilled wine. 30 drunks simultaneously went 'huh!' because we all wished we'd thought of that when we were drinking.

there was a story from someone else that only an alcoholic in recovery would find funny. the laughter came from recognition of the insanity of our drinking, and the warmth of being secure in recovery.

i'll find humour in anything. it beats wallowing.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The character 'Hawkeye' on MASH defined a sense of humor as "the ability to make light of a heavy situation." We all need that humor. It really helps.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upsetnneedhelp View Post
But would this humor exist if your loved one had cancer? Making everything a joke is just another way to stay in denial.
I don't think it's denial, as someone in recovery I know that laughter is one way to get a natural release of good chemicals to my brain. Smiling boosts the immune system and releases endorphins, something addicts and alcoholics as well as friends and family can certainly use.

Most of us come here initially and feel a bond because of the pain we are experiencing. Because this disease is a lifelong problem most of us have accepted that it is something that we deal with for the rest of our lives we know we have a very very long road ahead of us. That's a pretty serious truth to swallow regardless of what side of the fence you are on. I don't here anyone here denying that truth, but I don't see why any of us should live in misery because this disease affects us. All of us are worthy of happiness, in any amount where ever we can find it. I think for some of us, being able to laugh about something that is so invasive and can be so dark, makes it feel less powerful, and can make us feel more powerful and less victimized.

Hammer, I often lurk in the shadows and read your posts. I have often laughed out loud at your posts. I sometimes read the pain between the lines, but I believe there is a lot of honesty that you share with all of us.

Upset, I think laughter is denying the disease the power to consign us crawl off to a corner and live miserably. The best way to knock addiction down is undermine it's attempts to rob us of all that which is precious to us, and I believe human connection is very high on that list.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Comedy is born out of suffering and there is almost always a victim in comedy. One of the way humor works is to make illogical connections, which makes the life of addicts and codependents ripe for comedy. Comedy usually involves very deep understanding of the subject. A great benefit of comedy is that by laughing at something, we can break its hold on us. It can make it OK to talk about something on a more serious level.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hell... even Hubby had a great laugh about the bike at Wally World! I got his belly going when I told him he'd probably kill himself on it!!! He thought it was awesome and so did we.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It's wacky that I opened this thread just now. Moments before was strolling in the sun along our sparling lake and we were laughing so hard! About my posse of lawyers. I started out a year ago attempting an 'amiable divorce' for $4000. That didn't go too well when Mr Longstocking was on a vengeance mission! Then I found a hunky footballer lawyer but he was haven't a hard time representing me since he usually works for wifebeaters! This third guy has big baby blue eyes and black ringlets and stayed up past hours with me to philosophize about psycho narcissict manipulators. He's a sweetheart.

Anyway, my friend noted how we have never laughed about my situation like that and I said I think because it feels in some ways like it's almost over. The international police hasn't thrown me out of the country, the kids weren't abducted last summer, and I haven't gone - entirely - bananas.

What I think about Hammer making wacko jokes with his kids is this. When things are all hush-hush deadly serious and scary everything is ralked about behind clothes doors and only on appropriate occasions. When rafting down waterfalls with four kids and a cat, with no money or health insurance and AH has gone crazy angry mad and is destroying the family house and partying with anyone who'll have him - when this is going to be your life for the forseeable future - you have to kind of relax, talk casually, laugh, have a drink and enjoy the ride.

I was always joking about not gaving enough money for food when we didn't have enough money for food. And it bugged the kids and made them join in ir just roll their eyes and say I was crazy. But better than lying face down across the kitchen table every day and cry my eyes out!

When you get the hang of the waterfall raft free fall you can sing and kid around. You do get the hang of it after a while.