New to forum

Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

You are very wise not to bring children into it. At least you are thinking of it. Mine are 5 and 19 months and I am just now realizing how deep in denial I was 5 years ago. My heart aches sometimes when I think about the life I am giving my girls. Had I known what I know today - I may have made different choices. I just pray that the worst is over (home from rehab early November - 1st time) for their sake at least.

I can relate to alot of what you are saying, my RA sounds very similiar to yours, but maybe a little worse. No DUI's (yet)- Rarely missed work (yet), didn't go out and disappear for days, (yet) but I cannot even begin to describe the damage he caused with his drinking. That doesn't even mattter right now. What I call tell you for sure, at least for me, was I sounded just like you thinking I could help and assist and be supportive and suggest and all. I am very resentful about that now - among other things. And it got worse over the years --much worse.

I really thought I could help. There were times I thought it really wasn't "that bad" and there were many times I believed him when he said he was either going to stop or cut down. There were times he admitted he had a problem and times that he denied it and fought with me terribly about it.

I've been in hell and I have two little girls. My husband has been sober and is trying to rebuild -but we will see. Good luck
Old 11-26-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Welcome, Karen. Sounds like we are in similar situation - I'm married, 35, no kids...but want them. RAH is now 6 months into recovery from a relapse that lasted 18 months after 17 years of sobriety.

From what you describe, you are trying to control his drinking. One of the first things I learned was the three c's - you did not Cause it, you cannot Control it, you cannot Cure it. Learn about alcoholism, read the stickies, try six AlAnon meetings, read Codependent No More. Keep reading & posting.

I was blindsided when RAH relapsed. I had no idea what was happening but he was not behaving like the person I married. I sought the help of a counselor with addictions experience (Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor), got educated about Alcoholism, started AlAnon, and started to focus on myself. I learned about setting boundaries & detachment. I grieved the loss of my marriage as I knew it. While I would never wish this situation on anyone, I am a stronger person now than I was a year ago. I also know better what I want out of my life and what I will accept from the others in my life. RAH are working on our relationship...more will be revealed.