Needing Advice

Old 11-15-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Needing Advice

So I'm back needing more advice re XABF. We got an eviction a few months ago that had me losing all of my possessions that I had worked so hard for. Haven't talked to XABF in 2 months, keeping the NC going but today I get a garnishment notice from out prior landlord for almost $400 per paycheck to cover the judgement from the eviction, the lawyer fees and the fee for breaking the lease . I am so angry right now. I feel like calling him and cussing him to the high heavens!! Ofcourse he doesn't get to pay for any of it since he didn't have a job for them to garnish his wages from. So I have to pay this astronomical amount of money for the next 10 months to cover for the judgement. As I'm typing this am actually getting mad at myself for taking care of him and believing that he would EVER change and quit drinking, hold down a job and treat me right (fools paradise, I know). So now we will have a merry little (real little) Christmas just me, my son and the dog, my furniture will have to languish in the layaway department way longer than I expected while he gets to do whatever he is doing with no consequence . But I'm so angry and I just needed to vent. This is definitely the most expensive relationship I have ever been in!!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup. That's one heckuvalot of money to be paying.

My neighbor was just evicted after 6 weeks in her apartment. She got the apartment, her ABF moved in with her without the landlord knowing. He was abusive. The police were there more times than I can count -- the last weekend before she was evicted, they were there SEVEN times in one day.

The landlord told me the damage done to the apartment in six weeks (holes in walls, holes in doors, cabinet doors torn off hinges) was about $4,000 and he would take her to court for it. He said he felt sorry for her, but that it was her choice to have the ABF move in with her and she was responsible for the lease.

It sucks to be her. It sucks to be you. The only encouraging thing I can think of saying is that if you had stayed with him, it would have cost you a whole lot more. Not only in $$$. Chin up. And as a wise Alanannie told me: "When we know better, we do better."
Old 11-15-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always though they can only garnish a small percentage of ones paycheck? $400 a check seem like an extremely high amount. Does your ex work cash jobs? It seems very unfair that you are being held 100% responsible for this.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lilamy....the largest penalty was for breaking the lease and I make a decent amount of $$ so 25% of my gross is the amount they can take. There was no damage to the house.
Upsetneedhelp....he wasn't working at the time, full blown alcoholism so I'm the only one with an income to attach. He wasn't even named in the eviction suit and yet he was on the lease.
I'm so angry at myself....how stupid of me.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Usually when one sues another, the sue'er can go after one or all parties involved. The landlord decided to just go after you. BUT... You can go after him for half of what you were sued for because he was on the lease too. So you could possibly recoup some of the damages at a later time unless you just want to rack it up as a very expensive lesson in life.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Take him to small claims court to recoup 1/2 of that money. He may not be able to pay now but at some point he might.