What are you favorite Al-Anon Slogans?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you favorite Al-Anon Slogans?

At my Al-Anon meeting on Monday evening the topic was "Favorite Al-Anon Slogans". It was a great reminder for me of some of the simple ways to bring serenity in my life.

I couldn't believe it when the topic at a meeting I attended this afternoon was, "Favorite Al-Anon Slogans". I knew it was a message for me!

Before this week, I had not thought about using the slogans as tools in my recovery so I didn't really have a favorite. I would love to hear what your Favorite Slogan is and how it has helped you in your recovery. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't really have a favorite one (yet), but at a meeting the other day we talked about "easy does it" and "keep it simple".
Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like, "Progress, Not Perfection". Especially right now!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Lyn
Old 11-13-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Let go, or be dragged.

Mike
Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

This is probably more specific to my group, but "Tell the Itty Bitty Sh*tty Committee to take a hike"- when refering to our Stinkin' Thinkin. And 'Don't go into your head without your sponsor; it's a dangerous neighborhood to be in alone."

But for more traditional slogans, definitely "Let go or be dragged."
Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by love4menotu View Post
What other people think of me is none of my business.

Lyn

I like this one the best.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The Three C's

I Didn't Cause It.
I Can't Control It.
I Can't Cure It.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Not being the Alanon Police, but some of the above are not formal Alanon ones. All good by me, but I suppose that is my lead-in and apology for my favorite Alanon Slogan . . . which is not really an Alanon Slogan, either . . .

It Is What It Is.

As spoken by Mrs. Hammer's step dad. A town cop in a little East Texas town. Out there, they do not just talk -- folks sing-ity-song. So . . . "It is what it is" is spoken with a deep breath, and I just cannot even do the tonal and timing any justice in writing other that to say -- "It issss, What it is."

Sort of an Andy Griffith place if you recall that old show. The old one with Opie, Aunt Bee, and the Town Cop/Sheriff who would wax Southeron philosophy. Step dad cop would sit on the back porch under the 100 foot pine trees, for hours, and I would sometimes be dismissed while he would chat with our boys.

But his word for me was . . . "We have beautiful wives (talking of Mrs. Hammer and MIL), as for the rest . . . It is what it is."

He had known Mrs. Hammer since she was about 9, and had been her among her Karate Teachers before she was a state champion fighter. So he knew her background problems, and all the rest.

So that is my acceptance, and my slogan.

It is what it is.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

eh, I find that people say "it is what it is" so often that it's lost its meaning. That's not to minimize what it does for you. I just find some other sentiments more empowering for me.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
eh, I find that people say "it is what it is" so often that it's lost its meaning. That's not to minimize what it does for you. I just find some other sentiments more empowering for me.
Might be why it is not on the legit Slogan list(s). Dunno.

Not so common to hear in Texas.

Texas is not real big on acceptance (of anything not acceptable) [understatement of the year, there], so it is quite a jump around here.

Most things here are seen as struggle, overcome, beat down, achieve, Friday Night Football, conquer, victory, destroy.

To just let anything be a "Live and Let Live" (another legit Alanon Slogan) is quite a mind jarring thing in this culture.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There is a Buddhist one I really like.

Sitting quietly doing nothing, spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

Reminds me that the world runs just fine without my help. Pretty much the same message as Let Go And Let God which by the way is my favorite slogan.

Your friend,
Old 11-14-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"Nothing changes if nothing changes."

Not sure if it's an official slogan, but I heard it in my 1st meeting and repeat it to myself all the time nowadays.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mine changes depending on what I'm dealing with...and they may not be official anyway...but I like 'em!

Early on it was don't just do something, sit (stand) there and more will be revealed.

These days I'm more into easy does it and live and let live.

Yesterday's Hope for Today reading listed a whole mess of slogans so we had a good talk about it. I have a very wise (Hammer, I'm borrowing & modifying your word) Ala-Manny at my meetings, and he talked about the harder part of live and let live is often the live part...we get the let live understanding especially with the help of other slogans, but then we really have to work on the live part...which is what AlAnon is really about. Love him.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Couple of these are not really "official" either but seem to do the job.

Don't compare your insides to other people outsides.

Keeping my expectations low keeps my serenity high.

And of course Progress not Perfection.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

On our Celebrate Recovery shirts, bookmarks, etc it says this verse....

Two are better than one...if one falls down his friend can help him up. A chord of three strands is not easily broken.
Eccl 4:9 & 12

It is my favorite. In one of our lessons which I gave once I actually took a strand of plastic and braded it into a bookmark using three strands. My visual aide was that I could not break it although the one by itself was very easy to break. The girl I gave it to during that lesson (prob 2 yrs ago) still has that on her keyring.

I could never get through this alone. I can see that if I tried I would be broken. Because I actively use my friends at CR for my support system (and I am part of theirs) I will not be broken! If I feel that way they help me right back up and move away from those codependent thoughts.

God Bless!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing! The meeting favorites were:

"How important is it?"
"Let go and Let God"
"Think"
"Live and Let Live"

Hearing the stories behind how these slogans helped to bring peace into the lives of the storytellers was powerful. I can only imagine what a great day I would have if I lived by just a few of these truths.

It works if you work it!

I think I'll be working on it
Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

This was a hand out at a Louisiana State Convention a few years ago ~ thought y'all might enjoy it:

SLOGANS IN ACTION

Just For Today,
I will Let It Begin with Me
And Think, How Important Is It
Before I lose my serenity
And if I Keep It Simple
When my mind wants to burst
I will remember Easy Does It
and place First Things First
And isn't it kind of Funny
When I feel I've bottomed out
I find hope and courage when
I finally Let Go and Let God
But For The Grace of God
I can Keep An Open Mind
And learn to Live and Let Live
One Day At A Time.

Love the slogans - it's almost like a mini meeting or a sponsor talking in my head to help me stop an old behavior ~

pink hugs!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Love the SLOGANS IN ACTION, miss Pink Acres -
Thank you so much for sharing.
I'm going to print it out for one of my meetings and pass it around- we're mostly newbies with less than 2 years of programme, and we often tend to disregard the slogans.
I think because they seem to simple to our complicated minds...... This will help!!!

My favourite slogan is Progress Not Perfection - I make mistakes, and now I know that's ok
Old 11-14-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

one of my favorites is:

there are no victims only volunteers

i think that is so empowering. i had to be a couple years away from the trauma to appreciate it. i think eleanor roosevelt said it. we all ultimately have a choice about what we allow in our lives. i didnt know that for most of my life. i thought i just had to accept the situation i was in. after the dust cleared i realized (with a lot of people telling me) that i made choices that got me into my situation and i could make new choices that could get me out and ensure i didnt get into that again.