Just need some words of support.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just need some words of support.

Picked up alcoholic brother once again from ICU! If he doesn't sober up, he won't be with us much longer. He went to the ER Monday night after drinking several bottles of alcohol. He was vomiting blood. I didn't know the details, I just knew he was detoxing in ICU. Of course, I was the only one available to pick him up from the hospital. When I picked him up, we were discussing his health problems. I asked him when was the last time he had a drink. He said 3 weeks ago! Then the friend that called 911 confirmed that he was drinking heavily Monday night! So again, he lied to me!!! I am pissed!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish had words that would make everything ok; unfortunately I've got nothing except, I'm sorry.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NancyEllen,

I don't have much in the way of help. But can i just say I feel your pain and frustration. I hope your brother will get help, and that this has put enough fear into his heart to want to change.

Be sure to take care of you. I wish we could make them well, but you know by now that it has to be their desire.

Sending prayers for your brother and for you. People do quit, and recover. I pray he will be one of them.

hugs
chicory
Old 11-13-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you have to see your brother this way. It is brutal to watch someone we love drink themselves sick, stay in denial, lie to us; all of it hurts like hell.

Just want you to know I understand.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry that you have seen your brother suffering. It is scary and sad.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. How awful. It is like they think bc it's a "disease" they can just lie and heaven forbid if you call them out in it. I have yet to figure it out but I don't mix well w my AH bc I HATE being lied to in life more than anything.

Hugs to you. I'm so sorry you are going through all this.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this. Unfortunately, all of the anger in the world won't stop your brother from drinking or from lying to you. He's going to do what he's going to do, and it sounds like he's content to drink himself into a coma (my mother is like that, too). What happens if you don't rescue him next time? What happens if you decide that your well-being means more than being roped into the crazy dance again? Not saying that's what you should do, just some questions to ponder. (((Hugs)))
Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nancy, I'm really sorry to hear/see that this is happening to you.

Alcohol is taking my wife away for me and kids, and it just sucks.

No matter how you feel, your brother doesn't have the capacity to care for your feelings, or any other thing in this life.

It hurts, and getting pissed about it is y(our) natural response, but I assure you that it won't mean a thing to him.

In my situation, my wife just looks at me and tells me 'it's MY problem'. He may not have voiced it to you, but understand somewhere in your conversations with him its exactly what he's thinking.

I really wish I had more things of substance to tell you

I'm just sorry that you, and all of us, have gone or have to go through any of this.

In His love, Spinner.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like so many others on this board I know how you feel. I made more trips than I can recall to ERs, doctor's offices, the county jails, etc... Mostly for my son and daughter. I heard all the lies and excuses. I actually tried to believe them. It finally occurred to me that I wasn't the solution to their problems, but they were the cause of mine. Now they're sober, and I'm still sick. Go figure. That's why I'm here. There can still be a happy ending. Take care of yourself.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Are you okay Yancy? Why are you sick?
Old 11-15-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

NancyEllen,
I am sick from dealing with three addicts in my household for five years (wife, son and daughter). I am sick from five years of sadness, anger, isolation, resentment, and fear. I am sick from neglecting myself for five years. I am sick from spending a fortune on attorneys, fines, court costs, wrecked cars, bail, and all the foolish things addicts spend money on. I am sick from spending five years trying to solve addiction problems that I could not solve. I am sick from five years of irrational, dysfunctional behavior on my part. I am sick from five years of trying to act like I wasn't sick.