Stumbled on this today

Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stumbled on this today

In a "Dear Abby" type newspaper column where people get to ask questions and four different people each get to give their response. The question asked could have come from a newcomer here -- I love my husband, he's an amazing guy, the only problem is that he drinks X beers a night and is sh*tfaced all weekend long. How can I get him to quit? -- kind of question.

The first three responders basically said "he's an alcoholic, it's only going to get worse, he needs professional help and you need to get out."

The fourth responder is why I'm posting this, because his answer explained to me why SR is so effective; because we're not speaking in generalities an opinions; we've been there. And the part of his answer that I underlined just spoke volumes to me about the pain inside an A.

Here's what he said:

"An alcoholic wants nothing more than to drink. Patiently and methodically, he will rid himself of anyone and everyone who is a hindrance or an obstacle between him and his bottle. Eventually, he will be alone -- and then he will believe he has won. I know, because I've been there. I'm a recovering alcoholic. You are codependent, which in itself is a great pain and suffering. Your life has value apart from him. Ask him to stop drinking (by getting professional help) or leave him."
Old 11-13-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Stoic

Thank you for sharing! That part you underlined is so simple, and true, it's almost poetic.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Patiently and methodically, he will rid himself of anyone and everyone who is a hindrance or an obstacle between him and his bottle. Eventually, he will be alone -- and then he will believe he has won.
I'm almost sitting here open-mouthed.

Thanks for sharing this. It's spot-on.