dejavu

Old 11-11-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dejavu

Hi I'm Ellie, this is my first entry. I've been through all the different drug detoxs for all the different drugs. I've been through the dts and hospitalized and then detoxed another 2 times. I've been the highest anyone can go and the lowest anyone can go, but I've never been more scared than I am now. I know my big bro has a big problem with alcohol, he's even told me he's an alcoholic, but he says it's under control. I know it isn't, but there's nothing I can do. I'm a patient in a psychiatric hospital 80 miles away, even if I wasn't, what could I do? But the worst part is I can't see him or hear him or the rest of the family. I feel awful, but it just hurts too much. I put them through yrs of hell and all I can hear/see is the devastation I've caused, I just can't. Earlier on I spoke to my dad, he told me my bros in hospital due to a seizure. Now I know when you start getting seizures that's a bad sign, especially when you carry on drinking. I've lost too many people in my short life, he can't be next.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Ellie,

Welcome to SR! I'm so sorry for all that you have been through and also to hear about your brother. It certainly is painful to know someone you love is being so self-destructive, isn't it?

I so wish that I had some magic words I could give you to get your brother to see that there can be a better way....but there are none.

I think you probably know based on your own experience that if someone is not ready to stop drinking and drugging, there is nothing anyone else can do or say to make them stop.

One thing that I think would be helpful....stick to your own recovery. I think by showing your brother that it can be done, that life does not have to be lived in a blur, that it is beautiful after all, you may just be saving 2 lives. His, and your own.

Please stick around, read all you can! You have found a very supportive place here.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A agree with everything Seren said. You can only control yourself so work on that. I will keep you in my prayers. Stay strong!