Short update and article re: Rob Ford and addiction

Old 11-04-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Short update and article re: Rob Ford and addiction

Hi All...

I haven't posted much lately but I still come to read a few times a week. I'm proud to say I'm just past 5 months of no contact with my XAFWB, aside from about an hour in September when he showed up at my place, hammered at 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. He was here for less than an hour. I didn't even have to use the $20 I had tucked away to send him away in a taxi in anticipation of his eventual arrival. He left on his own after less than an hour of not getting the response I believe he was hoping for. As he left my back gate I saw the mickey in his back pocket.

I live in Canada and I've been following the unravelling of Rob Ford, the current mayor of Toronto. I've heard the story is making headlines in the US as well. One of my friends posted this article on FB today. I thought it was relevent to our collective struggles here at SR so I thought I'd post it.

From the article:

"Addiction is not about heroes or villians. It is not a moral issue. I think the mayor has made several immoral decisions, the extent of which we will only learn in the coming days. But mostly, I think the moral calculus to be made in addiction is whether or not you want to save your own life, or whether you want to leave behind the people who love you. When Irvine Welsh talks about it as “choosing life,” he’s not wrong. It’s literally a choice between life and death. But in this case, the mayor isn’t just choosing for himself — he’s choosing for Toronto. His powerlessness has become Toronto’s powerlessness."

Here's the link: Addicts lie: Rob Ford and the future of Toronto | Dangerous to those who profit from the way things are
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great article. Thanks for sharing it.