I just need to share this

Old 10-28-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just need to share this

with a group of people I know will understand.

So a radio station where I live have this morning feature which highlights the dumbest person they've been able to find in news clips. (Not very charming but my kids like the music on the channel...)

This morning as I was driving in to work, the "dumbest person" story was about a disabled man who walked with a cane. His house was on fire. He got out, told the firefighters to get his kids out, and then he himself walked back into the burning house to save his beer.

The crew in the radio studio was laughing at how dumb this guy was, risking his life for a sixpack of beer.

And it just made me tear up.

Because he was an alcoholic. I mean, it didn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that out, but the man said that, too -- he identified himself as an alcoholic.

I hate this disease. And what it allows people to become.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read about this over the weekend and was floored by the almost amused tone the story took (it was a print article). They said the man was able to recover several beers and that he was not injured. I was amazed that they seemed almost proud of him and that it's all done. Hello...the man walked into a burning building because he needed to get his beer out. It's all very sad and unless you have someone with an alcohol problem in your life you do not see that it is EVERYWHERE.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Just needed to share this . . . .

Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmmm. How did the house catch on fire? Was he drunk and left something to burn on the stove? Why did he leave before getting the children out first? Why did the firefighters let him into a burning building? I hope they called the cops.

The broadcasters probably like their beer quite a bit, too.

Yep, it's everywhere. The only ones not laughing are those of us who have had our own proverbial houses of dreams burnt down by alcoholics, too.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

WOW,lillamy, this is a very useful post--even though the story is a sad one for so many of us. In a few sentences it drives home the power of the disease. It is more important than the children; more important than health or life. Alcohol is truly the FIRST LOVE.

For any of us who ever think that we can control the alcoholic or wonder how/why the alcoholic can hurt us so much.....we should re-read this short story.

Thanks, lillamy.

dandylion
Old 10-28-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just read one on-line rendition of this story, stating that the alcoholic in question should learn to recognize the value of life. He shouldn't sacrifice himself for Bud Lite - but drink better beer!

Hilarious!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Depending on how I'm doing in my own program on any given day, the seemingly endless alcohol-centric posts in Facebook REALLY bother me sometimes. Like you...it just makes me so sad.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
Depending on how I'm doing in my own program on any given day, the seemingly endless alcohol-centric posts in Facebook REALLY bother me sometimes. Like you...it just makes me so sad.
me thinks that may indicate time for a "friend upgrade" option.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

if I'm understanding the story correctly - the firefighters had to get the children out & the man got the beer out?

I'm with you ~ I hate this disease - to me there is nothing funny about this at all, nothing dumb ~ just another heartbreaking story of how this disease is cunning, baffling & powerful

prayers for those precious children

pink hugs
Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dandylion, that was my thought. That this really drives home what this disease does to people. Any non-alcoholic person would see that absolute lack of rational thought in what this man did. To him... it was OMG MY BEER.

I only heard a brief synopsis of the story so I don't know the details but it didn't sound like he prioritized beer over children, more like once the children were safely accounted for by the professionals, he went back in for his beer.