Dinner with AH last night

Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dinner with AH last night

After the boys had practice, AH and I went to dinner alone. That was nice; we haven't done that in a long time.
We talked about the sport our boys are in, his coaching strategies and the players various abilities or lack thereof. It was a nice evening.
He then brought up casually that he is working on himself; I told him at my alanon meetings I'm working on myself, too.
I guess I thought that was an opening to share some of my own feelings about how his behavior has scared me, or weirded me out. He asked how. I told him that he has been looping his conversations with me. He didn't understand and asked me to explain, so I did. He just looked at me uncomfortably and said, hmm. Maybe this was overreaching, but I began to explain I looked up what it could possibly be, alcoholic dementia, and told him that it can be reversed through abstinence, but that after a time it could be irreversible.
That was the end of me sharing my concern and how it has frightened me. We changed the subject back to the kids and moved on from there pleasantly.
It felt good to get that off my chest regardless of whether he accepts it or not as truth.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Good on the kids.

And THIS part . . . .

Originally Posted by Katchie View Post
It was a nice evening.

He then brought up casually that he is working on himself; I told him at my alanon meetings I'm working on myself, too.
wow. Sounds Like the . . . Best. Date. Ever.

So not all was perfect. Still sounds pretty good to me.

Happy for you.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for a thumbs up, Hammer. Communication between us on important and personal topics is/has been nonexistent. It's really difficult, not just for him, but for me to share. I'm not sure when that happened to us.