Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Anxiety - I'm feeling it instead of "thinking it" - hmm..Progress?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Someone yesterday had commented and quoted me on me using the word "thinking" a lot and not "feeling" ---it clicked a little. Today my anxiety started up again, flashes of it here and there (tomorrow I have my first family session). For the past 2 days or so, my emotions have been "still" I guess you could call it. Not good or bad, but still.

I noticed today-- especially during the second half that I was getting waves of anxiety. Had I not posted and had you not replied I wouldn't have made the distinction or been able to identify it as an emotion. If that makes sense.

So I am feeling something and I accept it. Well, I don't accept it, but I'm not over thinking the think because I am noticing that I "feel" something and for now, in this moment, I guess that's ok.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was me who posted that. (And that is the miracle of this message board!). I'm so glad I was able to add something to the thread that helped.

I remember how I struggled with recognizing and releasing emotion when I was just starting the divorce process. I craved a good cry, but with 3 little kids, it was hard to get enough alone time to allow that to happen. I actually joined a church so the kids could go to Sunday school and I could sit there without young children to entertain, and listen to the music and the powerful words and let the emotions wash over me. I still attend and for some reason I find the church experience even more helpful and centering for me than al-anon, but that's just me.

Waves of anxiety are to be expected, but eventually it might be good to find a counselor or therapist to help you (I can't remember if you have one already) if you find that the anxiety becomes uncomfortable. Mine went away over time, but that doesn't always happen for everyone. I wish you all the best during your family session tomorrow.

Peace,
~B