Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

"The alcoholic needs to experience consequences in order to want to change."

"The alcoholic needs to experience consequences in order to want to change."

Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
The disease concept was used to have insurance companies pay for alcoholism treatment...that's all
hahahahha, ahhhhh.

Great. Love it.

Insurance.

THAT is how we know it can be treated in 28 days + 8 to 12 follow-on treatment sessions.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is a question that really interests me. As a functional alcoholic, I never disrupted anyone else's life. I started to get regular liver pain and hangovers and my intake was increasing. I felt I was just starting to be a half-assed person in general. It was hard to keep up with my responsibilities - I was just so tired. This was enough for me to stop. I knew I had so much to lose. I also had the benefit of seeing where the road of alcoholism takes you via family members that walked it before me over the last few generations. There are other people destroying everything and everyone around them - I don't know why that is. Maybe my pain wasn't as bad as someone else's...? Maybe I have a tiny bit more self-awareness? I tried to moderate and quit several times - maybe I just wasn't ready and I am now? I don't know. It baffles me.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Now that is an interesting point, and having read some of the alcoholics' stories on here, I believe it.
Some is the key. I know for myself, it was my liver pain that FINALLY removed my veil of denial.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Some alcoholics continue to drink even while in prison. They make it from fruits and suger. It is then sold on the black market there. I know someone with 8 dui's and they still drive. Some alcoholics bottom is death. There is nothing else that will stop their drive for the evil spirits aka. booze.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great. Love it.

Insurance.

THAT is how we know it can be treated in 28 days + 8 to 12 follow-on treatment sessions.
Not aiming this at anyone in particular, but...

The "disease" concept -- there's a lot there, actually. It's not really up for debate when you're looking at the latest research. There is much evidence that people who are prone to addiction lack the "brakes" that normies do. Whether that be physiological or emotional, whatever. It's what's happening. I know I don't have to convince anyone, but it always annoys me when people paint it as a corporate conspiracy or as a moral battle of self. Have you ever looked at someone who stood to lose everything in their lives that meant anything and they still couldn't stop using?

The way the insurance companies treat addiction -- it's criminal. There's no social infrastructure, so you're either rich enough to afford rehab after rehab, or you're liable to end up in jail, or in some other dubious situation on the street or behind the wheel. A teeny percentage end up in AA sober for life. Really, those people are miraculous -- so much respect for the old timers. It's just criminal the way we hang people out to dry -- addicts and their families both, especially the children.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Not aiming this at anyone in particular, but...

The "disease" concept -- there's a lot there, actually. It's not really up for debate when you're looking at the latest research. There is much evidence that people who are prone to addiction lack the "brakes" that normies do. Whether that be physiological or emotional, whatever. It's what's happening. I know I don't have to convince anyone, but it always annoys me when people paint it as a corporate conspiracy or as a moral battle of self. Have you ever looked at someone who stood to lose everything in their lives that meant anything and they still couldn't stop using?

The way the insurance companies treat addiction -- it's criminal. There's no social infrastructure, so you're either rich enough to afford rehab after rehab, or you're liable to end up in jail, or in some other dubious situation on the street or behind the wheel. A teeny percentage end up in AA sober for life. Really, those people are miraculous -- so much respect for the old timers. It's just criminal the way we hang people out to dry -- addicts and their families both, especially the children.

Obesity is now also an "official" disease. hmm i wonder if that was for scientific reasons or for reasons of better care for obese patients

Obesity as a disease: What does it mean for Americans? | Fox News
Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Obesity is now also an "official" disease. hmm i wonder if that was for scientific reasons or for reasons of better care for obese patients
There is solid research showing that there are environmental elements that are making every mammal on the planet statistically fatter, including *wild* animals. Could be the estrogen, could be the plastics, or any other disaster in the groundwater.

But hey, could be a conspiracy too, I guess. Or the decline of Western civilization. Or the End Days.

I don't want to derail the thread, so I won't argue this further. But the research is out there for interested parties and it's extremely helpful to understanding why our addicted loved ones behave the way they do. Contrary to providing excuses, it provides deeper understanding and compassion while we exercise loving and reasonable boundaries.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can't find the link I'd really like because I have it on my other computer, but here are two who talk a little bit about the changes in brain structure and function that can be seen in addicts.

Whether you want to call that a disease or not I guess is up to you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ir-brains.html

http://http://www.soberrecovery.com/...g-reading.html
Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jd77 View Post
I know alcoholism is considered a "disease" but I'm tired of that being an excuse for wrong behavior. The "my disease caused these things to happen" is starting to wear on me. My ABF seems to use this as his answer to everything.
It is a disease like obesity is a disease....it's a disease of choice.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Does anyone else have a partner that says, "it's because of my disease that I..."
Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good evening, everyone. I bring to your attention something that was posted recently on the opening description of this forum:

NEW! Members who violate our "No Flaming Rule 4" may be warned, suspended, subjected to post moderation or have his/her membership permanently revoked, depending on the severity of the violation(s) Respect is essential. (Support and experience only please.)

I think everyone here has had an opportunity to have their say, and some posts may be removed in violation of SR Rule 4. This thread is closed.