I finally did it!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I finally did it!

Made it to an Al Anon meeting. I am embarrassed to say that I never did fess up to my AH about it. I just told him that there was a Yoga class tonight. (There was, but I drove on by and went to the meeting instead) I was half an hour late due in part to some AH induced manipulation, but the members didn't seem to mind. It was a book study, which seemed pretty depressing, but they were just about finished with this when I arrived. I believe that I was the youngest in the room (I'm 53), and I felt a bit akward at first. But everyone was very welcoming and told me that they hoped that I would return. I probably will, as Ihave told AH that Wednesdays are mine. I will probably trade off between attending Yoga classes and Al Anon meetings.

Funny thing was AH never even asked about what my evening was like, or what yoga was like...
Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I remember that same awkwardness of my first meeting. But over time, the awkwardness disappeared and I was always eager to soak up the wisdom of the people in the meetings I attended. I haven't been able to go for quite a long time now, and I miss it.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Funny thing was AH never even asked about what my evening was like, or what yoga was like...
Don't let the what-ifs be an obstacle. I stopped myself before I started by thinking this way. And see? It was easy, and light, and good for you!

Your name Yurt cracks me up a little. Remember "a room of one's own"? How about "a yurt of one's own"?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have started to get some of my life back lately, and it does feel good. I wish that my AH would start doing things just for himself as well. He often tells me that he has no time, because everything he does is for me or our daughter. I think that he is a bit codie himself. I am finding it to be a bit smothering.

I wish that this yurt was portable. Then I could take it with me if I wanted to.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to my 4th meeting yesterday. I'm going to two different locations, one on a Monday and the other on Wednesday. I'm getting used to it. Ill have to say that yesterdays was the most helpful yet. I'm the youngest (42) while the other women could be my mother in age, but I was thankful for the wisdom from their years of experience.
Like you my first two meetings I didn't tell my husband about. Monday morning he lazed around cutting into my getting ready for meeting time. Seeing me getting ready made him curious what I was up to and where I was going. Because he asked I told him I was going to a meeting. Upon further pressing me I told him what kind of meeting. He gave me a look of shock. On the outside he seemed to take it ok though I know on the inside he was probably tore up about it.
Your meetings are for you but I hope if he asks you will let him know so that you don't have the added stress of not quite telling him the truth. I'm just speaking from my own experience this week. I'm glad he knows and I don't have to stress about sneaking to them.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I forgot to add, good on you for mustering the courage to attend a meeting! It is hard to do the first time... maybe even the second time, for me anyway.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

I LOVE my "old folks" meeting. It was last night. Once you learn just of a glimpse of HOW MUCH Knowledge, Love and Experience there is in THAT, you may, too.

btw, just for perspective, I am 53 as well -- but My Senior Alananny(s) all have Decades on me. Typical Meeting Night on the Senior Side -- There is "C" -- 81 y.o. 36 years in Alanon, "J" 78 -- retired 1st grade teacher. She can be hard on me. "V" upper 70's and still doing laps on the Steps Track. My sponsor, 78 and 34 years in.

Sort of an Alananny Superstar Team Lineup from my perspective.

Since I really do view them as God's Agents (Angels) One Earth -- and I am now kind of All About Me on this getting better stuff -- I do not want some low mileage dumbass like me coaching me. I GOT THE Top of the Line, near one-foot-in-the-grave/one-foot-in-Heaven Long-Timers as MY Coaches. A True Blessing.

===============

jmho -- I would be careful on the lying. Keep in mind this is a LOT of God stuff. Remember, God will not bless a lie (yeah, I have tried) -- at least as I understand most folks' view of God -- so while I do track that sometimes it is best to not be direct, be VERY careful on the lying.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I LOVE my "old folks" meeting. It was last night. Once you learn just of a glimpse of HOW MUCH Knowledge, Love and Experience there is in THAT, you may, too.

btw, just for perspective, I am 53 as well -- but My Senior Alananny(s) all have Decades on me. Typical Meeting Night on the Senior Side -- There is "C" -- 81 y.o. 36 years in Alanon, "J" 78 -- retired 1st grade teacher. She can be hard on me. "V" upper 70's and still doing laps on the Steps Track. My sponsor, 78 and 34 years in.

Sort of an Alananny Superstar Team Lineup from my perspective.

Since I really do view them as God's Agents (Angels) One Earth -- and I am now kind of All About Me on this getting better stuff -- I do not want some low mileage dumbass like me coaching me. I GOT THE Top of the Line, near one-foot-in-the-grave/one-foot-in-Heaven Long-Timers as MY Coaches. A True Blessing.

===============

jmho -- I would be careful on the lying. Keep in mind this is a LOT of God stuff. Remember, God will not bless a lie (yeah, I have tried) -- at least as I understand most folks' view of God -- so while I do track that sometimes it is best to not be direct, be VERY careful on the lying.
Ok, great advice but darn funny too!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hammer,
I am definitely not comfortable about the lying. Planning to talk to H about the whole meeting thing this weekend, as I see myself going on a regular basis.

I also found out that my DD has been attending meetings at school. So we are headed in the right direction.

I hope that your Al Ateen group goes well. I can see a need here at our middle school as well (we are K-8).