Why I don't like The Closing at the end of al anon meetings

Old 10-22-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LightInside View Post
I guess it's a good opportunity for codies to practice boundary setting. If you're not doing it because it's good and comfortable for you, who are you doing it for and why?
A valid point, and certainly a different way of looking at it--after some consideration, I am doing it b/c, altho I don't get a benefit from doing it, I also don't suffer any harm from doing it. I do indeed dislike it a lot, but then again, life is full of things that I may dislike a lot but still need to do, like wearing shoes to work and shoveling the driveway...and yes, there is that codie thing that somehow my refusing to take part might somehow affect other people's enjoyment of that portion of the meeting. Which is silly, when I say it, actually, isn't it?

I guess for me, I would decide if it's actually causing me harm in any way. If it IS causing me harm, then I would seek to make some sort of change. If it's just a preference and not actually harmful in a mental, physical, emotional or spiritual way to me, I would just let it blow right by me. For me, that would be a comfortable compromise.

Thanks for bringing this thought up, though--there is more here to chew on for me than I imagined at first.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LightInside View Post
I guess it's a good opportunity for codies to practice boundary setting. If you're not doing it because it's good and comfortable for you, who are you doing it for and why?
I like the meetings themselves. I find the "cheer" a little strange, but I'll get over it.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob8619 View Post
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
Not everyone who goes to meetings is a Christian. It isn't a requirement either.
Myself, I am a Pure Land Buddhist.

Your friend,
Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Perhaps to us who aren't Christian, (if we are to be treated equally on SR), it is foolish to believe in salvation.

Most meetings in my state end in the lord's prayer. I have gone to meetings within a 100 mile circumference. Only the more metropolitan larger cities did not do this. Rural- usually did.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
For me, repeating something over and over again will just make it an impersonal, endless loop of the same words, over and over again.
I used to think this way about reading the 'just for todays'. I hated them and would get uncomfortable reading them because every single meeting I went to would read them. Now, I love them! I find myself turning to them out of the blue, reciting them to myself when I need them, etc.

Your complaint is valid and I know everyone has their own opinions and feelings about the meetings and what is said and done there. I've been to a few meetings where they do the Lord's prayer and others where they do the 'let it begin with me'. Neither one bothers me and if I don't feel like saying them, I just close my eyes and go somewhere else with my thoughts, LOL! I have ADD and that's always an easy thing to do for me!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well that kind of is the point of the verse I posted..... And not everyone that goes to the meetings are non-Christian either. Partake if you like, do not partake if you do not like.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm not perishing over here, thanks.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well that kind of is the point of the verse I posted..... And not everyone that goes to the meetings are non-Christian either. Partake if you like, do not partake if you do not like.
Yes but the quote implies you are above us, and you know it.
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks Lightinside for the question about Boundaries- I had a tough one about setting boundaries around my meetings- I am so 'codie' that I badly wanted everyone to like me, so went to every meeting without fail- its only since I set my boundary for myself around meetings that I am truly comfortable. Now I go when I want to go, I go for myself, I no longer need to feel that my presence is necessary for the group- I have stopped obsessing about what I am going to say, wear, act in order to fit in-
I am learning to detach from the meetings, I do believe I had transferred my Codie behaviour from the alcoholic to the meeting....how insane is that?!

Come to think of it, isn't an Al Anon meeting a good place to learn to set boundaries.......
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
I'm not perishing over here, thanks.
You were eloquent whereas I was not! Thanks Choublak.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueSkies1 View Post
Perhaps to us who aren't Christian, (if we are to be treated equally on SR), it is foolish to believe in salvation.

Most meetings in my state end in the lord's prayer. I have gone to meetings within a 100 mile circumference. Only the more metropolitan larger cities did not do this. Rural- usually did.
what do you mean by "if we are to be treated equally" ?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You were eloquent whereas I was not! Thanks Choublak.
Say what you feel Blue.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Not above anyone at all. Some are going to perish some will be saved. Nothing to do with being above anyone.

EDIT: perhaps if you take it that way maybe you feel as though you are below or something I dont know. But to quote a Bible verse doesnt imply that I am above you or anyone else. We are all sinners
Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

what do you mean by "if we are to be treated equally" ?
Things can be said, such as bible quotes, that demeans those who don't believe. They are "perishing" yes?
What about if I say we are not perishing but thriving? Will my post be removed?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Not above anyone at all. Some are going to perish some will be saved. Nothing to do with being above anyone.

EDIT: perhaps if you take it that way maybe you feel as though you are below or something I dont know. But to quote a Bible verse doesnt imply that I am above you or anyone else. We are all sinners
Good...but if I dont' seek salvation? Then what?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

From the sounds of it you want it to be your way, not allowing others to have their say. One of those "don't force your views on me" (meanwhile you are forcing your view on me) type of deal here?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good...but if I dont' seek salvation? Then what?
If you die before you ever seek salvation then I think you know how that ends.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

From the sounds of it you want it to be your way, not allowing others to have their say. One of those "don't force your views on me" (meanwhile you are forcing my view on you) type of deal here?
Those of us who aren't Christian simply don't like quotes that damn us to hell, can you understand that?

I'm quite alright with you, or anyone, being Christian. No problem whatsoever. In fact, if it makes you happy....all the better for you, and I'm sincerely glad for you to have found what makes you happy.

But live and let live to me means that those who don't buy into Christianity, don't necessarily suffer hell, or lack of salvation, because of their choice.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

If you die before you ever seek salvation then I think you know how that ends.
Nope...see what I'm not buying what Christianity is selling?

I don't believe it ends that way for me. I also don't believe you are saved just because you believe you are saved.