AH Sober for 5 Weeks and driving me nuts!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH Sober for 5 Weeks and driving me nuts!

My AH has now been sober for nearly 5 weeks and things are mostly very good. He decided he wanted to try Antabuse. This was all his idea, I didn't suggest it or push it at all.

He seems to be very happy and energetic, focusing on work and finding new hobbies and activities, and catching up on household projects. He says he feels physically great. The only problem is he doesn't stop talking! He now gets up early in the morning with me and hits the ground talking. I get at least 4 phone calls at work during the day updating me on what he's doing plus text messages. In the evening he repeats himself telling me again of the days activities etc. We've kind of made a joke out of it between us, I lovingly told him one morning no talking before 7 am. I am not a morning person at all!

I'm not sure what this is. He was a bar drinker, so maybe he's just missing the social interaction? Maybe he's not quite comfortable in his new found sobriety and is compensating with chatter? Maybe this is just who he really is when he's feeling mentally and physically good. I don't know.

I really don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I'm proud of him for taking this initiative to get control of his disease. Things are soooo much better between us, there is actually laughter again in our home!

My question is has anyone else had this experience before or know what's going on with him. As always, I welcome your thoughts and opinions.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Consider the other extreme.

Won't talk unless it is foul or yelling, and just sitting around moping.

That was *our* first three months. Not really a lot better since.

So drying out has turned him into a chatting woman? Maybe you just now have a new bff life or whatever they call it.

Be Happy.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Hammer! You're funny and always make me laugh!

I really am happy. And grateful that he's found the good sense to start working on himself. Just wondering if anyone else had this kind of experience.

I sure hope Mrs. Hammer understands how lucky she is to have a patient husband like you. Don't know how you do it!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Hopeful--yes, I have had similar experience---with my adult son when he was first sober. He was 4 states away and we were just talking on the telephone. Yes, it drove me nuts. I was like everything was to an extreme. One day, excited and chattering like a magpie--the next day, dark and sullen; irritable and short-tempered the next; other times--sad and remorseful about some of his actions in the past. It was a roller-coaster ride.

In the books (assuming they aren't drinking), this is sometimes called "emotional dysregulation". I wouldn't give it to a monkey on a rock (saying by david letterman).

dandylion
Old 10-21-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just be grateful each day he is sober ... most alcoholics don't make it to a year (around 70%, I think). Treasure each moment because no one know what tomorrow will bring. Have you tried Alanon? Could be a big support during this transitional period.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Dear Hopeful--yes, I have had similar experience---with my adult son when he was first sober. He was 4 states away and we were just talking on the telephone. Yes, it drove me nuts. I was like everything was to an extreme. One day, excited and chattering like a magpie--the next day, dark and sullen; irritable and short-tempered the next; other times--sad and remorseful about some of his actions in the past. It was a roller-coaster ride.

In the books (assuming they aren't drinking), this is sometimes called "emotional dysregulation". I wouldn't give it to a monkey on a rock (saying by david letterman).

dandylion
Thanks Dandylion.

I thought maybe it might be something like this although I didn't have a name for it. I'm going to look this up and read more about it.

I'm really trying to understand what he's going through. It can only help both us.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree that it's likely transitional - RAH's behavior kinda bounced around a bit in early recovery. He was UP UP UP and chatty & sharing & then spiraled down & couldn't see his way out of his depression. It cycled around but didn't follow any "predictable" schedule or flow that I could see. And I stopped trying honestly, it was exhausting watching him go through it & hard not to let my own energy get drawn in. I used that time to learn to separate myself - like you saying, "No talk in the early morning" (lol) - that's a great way to establish new & fair boundaries.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hopeful--when you are looking it up--also check out PAWS and "dry drunk". (helpful tio for the day)...LOL.

dandylion
Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

He's being a recovery bore. Let him get on with his euphotic outbursts. Don't be so mean!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Just be grateful each day he is sober ... most alcoholics don't make it to a year (around 70%, I think). Treasure each moment because no one know what tomorrow will bring. Have you tried Alanon? Could be a big support during this transitional period.
You're right NYC. I am very cautiously optimistic about our future. The difference this time is I think he's more serious about sobriety than he's ever been before. I am grateful for every day we have together that he is sober and working towards happy and healthy.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I agree that it's likely transitional - RAH's behavior kinda bounced around a bit in early recovery. He was UP UP UP and chatty & sharing & then spiraled down & couldn't see his way out of his depression. It cycled around but didn't follow any "predictable" schedule or flow that I could see. And I stopped trying honestly, it was exhausting watching him go through it & hard not to let my own energy get drawn in. I used that time to learn to separate myself - like you saying, "No talk in the early morning" (lol) - that's a great way to establish new & fair boundaries.
Thanks for posting this. I've been preparing myself for the opposite behavior to appear. What goes up must come down right? Hopefully not to hard though!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
He's being a recovery bore. Let him get on with his euphotic outbursts. Don't be so mean!
Funny Kate! Mean would have been me telling him to shut the H311 Up at 6:00 am instead of saying no talking. This is a great exercise in patience I tell ya!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mine is always chatty, but at a about 6weeks +/- he was a super loud talker! He is at 7 months (2slips) now, and that has past...thank goodness! Hopefully he will find his way to AA or another program to hellp! take care of yourself! Good luck, patience and tolerance! Even though its better there are still struggles. One day at a time!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Antabuse can enhance the effects of caffiene. I take it and find myself blabbering after a couple of iced teas. I was actually annoy
Old 10-25-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oops.(dang send button)

I was actually annoying myself. I stay away from caffiene.

Volstead
Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Volstead. That's the first I've heard of caffeine being a problem. He does love his coffee! That could very well be this issue.