Post Bond Or Hire A Lawyer?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What are your desired outcomes with both hiring a lawyer or posting bond? Just curious.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

hi Upset, I think you saw this coming because he wasn't exactly toeing the line? My concern about the bail/bond would be that you would forfeit it.
If you can afford to forfeit a bond, then there is a decision to make, but if you can't, if your own future security is at stake, then please don't because there's a good chance (judging from his mindset) that you will use it.
If you can afford a lawyer, he/she may be able to get the charges reduced, but either way your son is going back behind bars. A bond would delay the process, and I'll assume he will get credit off his sentence for time spent.
Take care of yourself.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Upsetnneedofhelp, you can pray on it that the attempt murder charges are reduced but it is what it is. Desperate people do incredibly stupid and extremely dangerous things without thinking through all the possible consequences. They probably don't intend or even care what happens as long as they can get away from the pain that they have caused or the trouble they will be in if caught. You were not there, I am assuming, when all this took place. Your son is fortunate that the police didn't shoot him to protect themselves when he rammed the patrol car. Hold onto the fact that on that day and at that time he didn't kill someone or get himself killed. because if he was willing to try the "Bonnie and Clyde" route of running and gunning then what might he do in the future?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Feelinggreat, as another has said this is not my first rodeo. I know my son is going back to prison. What should be the sentence? I still want the least amount of prison time as possible because it is not productive. My father was a very respected, nationally respected anti-death penalty attorney and activist. My sons 8yr sentence didn't help him in any way. He continued using behind bars. It should be noted that he has dual citizenship in another country located in Central America. That could always be a option but then I would indeed lose the bond.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

hi Upset, please don't put your financial security on the line.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

But if need, he would have hurt, or even killed someone.

thus the firearm.

When he did armed robbery originally, what was he armed with? A firearm? And what if the victims said "no, I don't quite like this scenario, and I shall resist peacefully your seizure, by force of my possessions"? Would have have said "oh, well... in that case, I will leave this be" ? No, part of that was a threat of deadly force - "I will end you here. All that you could be will be extinguished, all that you could have done will not occur. I will do this if you do not allow me to take our property."

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I feel I've read here from people experiencing abuse with alcoholic spouses that the abuse is it's own problem independent of the alcoholism. Even when the alcoholism is discontinued, the abuse can and often continues. I hope I'm not mistaken, but I believe I've read that here; I am new though.

When crimes create victims, something must be done. The Philosophy of Liberty

Originally Posted by Upsetnneedhelp View Post
It should be noted that he has dual citizenship in another country located in Central America. That could always be a option but then I would indeed lose the bond.
I... I'm 85% certain that violates federal law...
Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for you to hear this about your son. You're admitting yourself he will never change, I think you should give serious consideration to leaving him be and letting a public defender handle his case.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I never said my son was a angel. I wish they would of charged him with driving under the influence so he could get some rehab help while in prison. From what I have read driving a car under the influence is like having a lethal weapon just as my son did. We use to live in a area where owning firearms was the norm. My son grew up shooting at the range.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My sons 8yr sentence didn't help him in any way. He continued using behind bars.
It may not have "helped" him (or, rather, he chose not to do anything after incarceration to avoid it again, is more accurate), but it quite probably helped the other victims he would have been pulling a gun on, robbing for drug money. Each day he was incarcerated, an innocent victim of his crimes was protected.

There is more at stake here than your son's convenience and success in life. His actions have affected other innocent people, and broken laws, and endangered others people's lives.

So whether he "was helped" or not while in jail is only one side of the coin. The law is structured to protect victims more than it is to coddle the perpetrators into change. The victims rightly should have priority.

CLMI
Old 10-17-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I never said my son was a angel. I wish they would of charged him with driving under the influence so he could get some rehab help while in prison. From what I have read driving a car under the influence is like having a lethal weapon just as my son did. We use to live in a area where owning firearms was the norm. My son grew up shooting at the range.
when people drive drunk, they're trying to get home or to the liquor store. When a violent drug user has a gun who has committed acts of aggression, including robber have guns, they're not using it for recreational target practice. It is not the same. When a collision occurs and a drunk kills someone, it is un-intended. When a violent person uses a firearm to victimize others, it is a choice to take life. He had no legitimate reason to possess a firearm, other than to victimize. Drunks use their cars to get beer. See the difference? Motive.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

If he runs to another country and you help him, you're both going to jail. Especially now that you've broadcasted that idea on a public forum on the internet. You can bet your behind they'll be searching every electronic device you own if he runs. And nothing is ever truly gone from the net or a computer, even if you delete it.

You still post like he's an innocent kid who has been wronged by everyone and their brother. That he's never done anything wrong in his life, it's everyone else's problem. He is 100% responsible for every single thing he's done, and he needs to face the consequences. He is a violent offender who, at his age, is out of the window of possible rehabilitation. He could have killed people on multiple occasions. Why on EARTH would you risk everything you have, knowing that there's a strong likelihood he will incur MORE charges if he's out on bond. A lawyer won't do much better than a PD. Really. Look at what you've written and ask yourself, "At what point do I accept that this is the life he's chosen and I won't let him destroy mine"?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. Someone sent me a pm when I first posted that I may not like the advice and responses I get. Maybe it is what I need to hear or maybe it's not. I will think about it though. In the meantime, I will utilize the other forum I found online.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Keeping an open mind here is hard, but necessary for recovery. We all came here in various states of danger, distress, confusion, anger. It isnt easy to admit to ourselves that someone we love is out of control and that we can't fix it. We are control freaks. If we weren't, we wouldn't be here. Don't mistake tough love for heartlessness, or straight talk as uncaring. You will come to love us in time. Keep posting. That's the ticket here.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

If someone wants to get rehab or treatment in prison they can and will if they want to. If they don't? Well? They remain a menace tp themselves and others and an emotional drain on their families.

Your father could have been the president but that doesn't mean that his grandson should be given a pass if he "isn't an angel." and I think you know that deep down. Okay, so we get it. He is sick and you will do anything reasonable or unreasonable to see that he skates. Why do you need a consensus of opinion for that?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Nothing changes if Nothing changes. I have followed all your posts. It doesn't really matter what is said. The blame is on the justice system, the parole officer, the lack of jobs for a guy who is "too smart" for some jobs, etc. Not once has the responsibility been placed where it belongs...on the man who continues to make bad choices. He was just trying to get away..... REALLY? From what? What was such an emergency that he would ram a cop car with a weapon in the car? This is the same guy that is "too smart" for a telemarketing job???

I hurt for you. Not because of what your son does, but because of the blinders you refuse to put down. You are going continue to defend your decisions to enable your son. The truth is ...you don't have to defend yourself to us. It is your life, your decision. So put up the bail money if that's what you feel you should do. But it is your CHOICE....so accept when you lose your home. Pay for the lawyer, it is your CHOICE. But be prepared to go into debt and still see your son in jail. I don't really understand what you want to hear. No one here is going to tell you it will all be okay, we have too much experience with this disease to be Pollyanna about it.

Do what you think is best. Accept the consequences.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

"I don't really understand what you want to hear. No one here is going to tell you it will all be okay, we have too much experience with this disease to be Pollyanna about it."

Thanks and then some.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Upset...I have read all your threads, and my heart aches for you, as it does so many of the posters on this forum. I will pray for you and for your son. I hope that you come back to the forum as much as you like.

I would like to pose a question you've essentially already heard...what steps has your son taken to find his own recovery? Rather than looking at how everyone else has failed him, please take a look at what he has done to improve his situation. My RAH does not do some of the things I would like to see him do for recovery (and my opinion does not matter), but he does do things that he knows are important for his recovery.

Please take care of yourself.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It should be noted that he has dual citizenship in another country located in Central America. That could always be a option but then I would indeed lose the bond.

If you can find a Bail Bondsman who will touch him with this info...

Signed,
A Bail Bondsman

Take care of yourself...
Old 10-18-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

The thing about denial......

Originally Posted by Recovering2 View Post
Nothing changes if Nothing changes. I have followed all your posts. It doesn't really matter what is said. The blame is on the justice system, the parole officer, the lack of jobs for a guy who is "too smart" for some jobs, etc. Not once has the responsibility been placed where it belongs...on the man who continues to make bad choices. He was just trying to get away..... REALLY? From what? What was such an emergency that he would ram a cop car with a weapon in the car? This is the same guy that is "too smart" for a telemarketing job???

I hurt for you. Not because of what your son does, but because of the blinders you refuse to put down. You are going continue to defend your decisions to enable your son. The truth is ...you don't have to defend yourself to us. It is your life, your decision. So put up the bail money if that's what you feel you should do. But it is your CHOICE....so accept when you lose your home. Pay for the lawyer, it is your CHOICE. But be prepared to go into debt and still see your son in jail. I don't really understand what you want to hear. No one here is going to tell you it will all be okay, we have too much experience with this disease to be Pollyanna about it.

Do what you think is best. Accept the consequences.

^^^^absolute 100% truth......
Old 10-18-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Why do ANYTHING?

By his actions your son has shown you that he WANTS to return to jail! He knew the consequences of breaching parole and he didn't just breach it with a little slip up, he breached it quite spectacularly. So, stand back and let him continue doing exactly as he wants to. Get out of his way!