AH's Visit Went...Not Well, but Not Terrible

Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH's Visit Went...Not Well, but Not Terrible

Now that I've had a few days to shake off my AH's visit last weekend, I just wanted to thank everyone for their support. It wasn't his best visit home, but it wasn't his worst, either. There was some drama on Saturday that upset me terribly in the moment, but I was able to compose myself and re-focus on things that I can actually control in pretty short order. That's a huge change for me from where I was 3 years ago, when a conflict or confrontation or drama would send me into a tailspin that would last for days, if not weeks. I would allow that tailspin to totally destroy my ability to be productive or engaging at work, etc.

I still have hurt feelings about some things, but it's now less about being "disappointed" that my AH doesn't meet my expectations, and more about just feeling like I deserve people in my life who are willing and able to meet some pretty basic expectations. I'm turning more to my friends, working to maintain more regular contact and not isolate myself so much. And best of all...I have at least a few uninterrupted weeks of not having to deal with the alcoholic crap in person.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Progress Not Perfection ~ sounds like once again you are doing well walking your own path and allowing AH to walk his also.

Breaking those isolation habits are difficult ~ I struggle with that also some days

Keep taking good care of YOU!!

pink hugs!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! You sound strong and ready to keep moving forward on YOUR path, wherever that may be. We all isolate at times, and it's good that you recognize that in yourself and that you are addressing it. Hugs and lots of support for you today!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice to hear you did okay! It really is possible to learn to find some serenity for ourselves no matter what the A is doing.

Now you get to enjoy some "you" time.