Holiday reading

Old 10-06-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday reading

My partner and I are going on vacation next week. It's a place we have been many times before and always previously I have drank with him at least a couple of nights in a bar near where we stay.
In the last couple of months I haven't drank at all. This is no big deal I often go months and months because its not something I need or think about BUT I would normally drink a little with him on vacation.
Since admitting to myself he has a problem with drinking (or more honestly that I have a problem with him drinking) I'm really not interested in being his bar buddie. In fact I think I may never drink again. The more I read the more alcohol becomes "bad" or "poison" or whatever in my head (just my opinion)
I had been tying myself in a bit of a knot today with what would happen on vacation. Would I go to the bar and drink lemonade or would I "encourage" him (yuck) to drink in the hotel or would I sit alone wringing my hands waiting for him to return (actually he is still, as far as an active alcoholic can be, a loving man and would probably offer to stay in with me as long as he had access to beer.)
Earlier today I just decided I was going to stop thinking/worrying about this and decide when I got there what was right for me.
Within the sense of calm that descended on me I realized I'm going to have the chance of a couple of evenings by myself in a beautiful hotel room with all the comforts that go along with it.
Guess who just bought Codependency No More and another book I've been after as holiday reading?
I'm actually looking forward to it.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi jessicajoe, sounds like a great plan. Also crossword puzzles and arts n crafts. Find things to do that you enjoy. I'm a big reader too. Also youtube has many good videos about recovery. Good for you!!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You should see if they have a hot tub and go soak! That's what I would do! And a massage... Ahhhhhhh I can feel it now... *melting into my chair... Oh crap... still at work*
Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
You should see if they have a hot tub and go soak! That's what I would do! And a massage... Ahhhhhhh I can feel it now... *melting into my chair... Oh crap... still at work*
Oh Yesssssss!!! Hot tub, sauna, pool, gym, my yoga mat.... and netflix on my Kindle.

Oh, and chocolate. I'd spring for the good stuff- imported truffles or something. It would be CRIMINAL to have all these warm fuzzy amenities & skip the chocolate.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lovely ideas ladies but honestly the thought of a couple of hours uninterrupted with a book I really want to read. No quacking in the background and no chores tapping on my shoulder is enough to get me excited all on its own.

I won't say no to these Belgian Truffles Firesprite