Success stories?

Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm trying to post a smilie with a heart but it's not working.

Just know that's what i was trying to do! ha!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Of course, I would love to hear more stories like CodeNamegiggles - where the AH wakes up and turns around and the program works and it's awesome. - I want this for my life, so I would love to hear that it can happen.
Never say never, never say always. In 26 years of AA meetings I've known a handful of marriages that survived. The thing is we're very damaged people when we put down the drink and it takes years of hard work and therapy to change into relatively healthy people. People who stop drinking are surprised that relationships are too damaged to continue: trust and respect are shattered. Statistically only about 10% of people who start recovery stay sober (that's the success rate most rehabs use).

But it all comes down to the individuals involved.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I want to believe ours is a success story.

I am now a single mother of a child with special needs, and somehow managed to have the best year in my career (take that, naysayers, and there were plenty). Anxiety is no longer there. I know I am enough

XAH - moved away (which is a blessing), is sober, got a full time decent job in his field. He is still a narcissistic @rsehole but it is no longer my problem. I wish him well, from afar.

I have to work on letting go every day as he consistently tries to manipulate his way into my family orbit. I feel lonely and scared sometimes, but it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with me. Life is not easy but so much more calm and fulfilling 😊
Old 10-24-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

This was just an amazing thread and it's given me so much to think about. Honeypig - your story was just so moving and inspiring. I am in the early stages of coming to grips with the fact that things aren't going to work out with my XAP. He is trying to get sober again, but there are a dozen red flags flapping in the wind. And when I was thinking about my life without him, I used to get really scared: who would help me put the new bed together? Who would I go camping with in the summers? Who would hold my hand and tell me everything would be okay? The answer is: me. And, finally, after months of worrying and stressing. I'm starting to really get excited about the idea of taking care of myself!