Arggg

Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

It's not irrational to feel a little uncomfortable speaking to someone new. They will not be taking your children away from you though. They do know that you are doing the best that you can at this time. They want to help you.

I did this also a little at a time. Different people, but I started to know that I was doing the best for me, and they had the experience in this, and that they could guide me.

Let us know how it goes

((((((((hugs))))))))
Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Taking back what is mine!

Another VM, dang phone tag. Hoping she calls back before 5. I guess I am going to call the local hotline # back and verify the outreach womans #.

I looked into their website more and it does state everything is confidential. Also has a little section on what to expect at your first appointment. Eased my nerves a little. This is like a serious challenge, I cant believe I am having such a issue getting a hold of someone. Not complaining, I understand I am not the only person and it is all non profit and I am just thankful I have a place to wait on to call. But its like whatever HP there is, is testing just how serious I am cause everyday that passes, everytime I get a VM, etc, I have to go through the whole process of building my confidence and courage back up. Its getting easier to just do it without over thinking everything.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I agree that the VM thing can get kind of annoying also, but I tend to try to be optimistic about things, and I can see that in you also. Each time you are gaining more knowledge, (you researched their site), you get to be a little calmer, you get more time to think of things that are truly important to you.

When you do get in touch with them, you won't be as nervous as the first time. You are doing really good !!!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Crap, I just want to get something more accomplished over than calling people. Left another VM for the outreach person, called the local hotline again to verify the number and that her phone is working and she isnt out sick or anything. She isnt. I also emailed the woman from the second place as it says I can make an appointment that way too. At least I am continuing to call and leave more vm's, I wouldnt have before. Im frustrated. I am happy I am frustrated because before I would have been secretly relieved that I didnt have to talk to anyone lol. Not the case now, I know I am going to be a nervous wreck once I finally get an appointment and go to go there but I want it enough to just do it. I dont know if it was someone here or not that said it but the quote has stuck with me and everytime I am met with that stomach turning fear or nervousness I think of it. "Sometimes courage feels a lot like fear" I am learning to tell the difference and I am really eager to have something real like an appointment.

Thank you for the support, everyone. This thread has become my reminder of my goals, the reasons I am doing this. I feel silly sometimes cause I keep posting little updates that arent really necessary as nothing new has happend or random thoughts and feelings but it makes me feel better. Everytime I feel weak or defeated or nervous posting about helps calm me down, helps me keep thinking straight and keeps his fogginess from clouding everything back up. I am actually starting to feel a little proud of myself for mantaining mentally, for not being swayed even when all those crappy feelings surface.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Keep posting - you're doing just fine! We're all so proud of your tenacity and fortitude - Keep feeling that urgency, keep letting it snowball - it seems to just be making you stronger and more driven!

Best to you!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SadConfused, please don't worry about posting--we want you to keep in close touch--and this is one of the purposes of this forum, in the first place.

Wow, I can see how you could be very frustrated by trying to get in touch with this outreach worker---and I am proud of how you are keeping you "cool" in this regard! This kind of thing has happened to me many times in my life---trying to get in touch with certain people, etc.--so, I KNOW what it feels like! Also, good problem-solving by trying another way to establish communication!!

Girl, you are doing good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the end, you will see that it is all worth it to bring about change in your life.

dandylion

Remember: Tenacity is your friend.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I feel you updates are very important and necessary. It means that you are not going back into denial which I did many times. I am very proud to have met you. You are showing so much courage and strength, I feel privileged to hear of your journey.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Thank you all, for the kind words, and support, and for helping me not feel so crazy. Thank you for letting me share my story and for being here to help me try to give it a happy ending. You are right, it keeps me from falling back into denial.

Amy, like I said before everyone here has helped me so much, even just from the thanks when I post but you truly have no idea how much you mean to me. Im not sure I would have the strength and courage without your words, your experience, and just for caring so much. Seriously, Thank you so much for being my cheerleader and encouraging me to make my life what I want it. (((hugs)))

He will be home soon so I am off for the night. Everyone enjoy and take care. Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

SadConfused,

You are not crazy !!!!!!!!!!! I thought I was crazy for many years. Maybe I was, I got stuck on that "wheel", trying to make things better, but there was no way to do that, because I was the only one trying.

You are in a good place in your head right now. I didn't get to that place until I "got out". Then I still didn't get there, but I had really good friends that let me move in with them, they listened to me when I cried, and they held me through all the times that I was hurting.

I first told my ex that I was done in March 1999. I was diagnosed with cancer in April 1999. I have no regrets about the cancer. I look at it as Gods way of showing me that I did have the strength and courage. My ex was surprisingly pretty decent to me during that time. I actually thought that he hit his "rock bottom" when he thought that he could lose me. He didn't. He knew that due to the cancer that I was weak physically, that I wasn't going anywhere.

After the treatment for the 2 cancers, and the deep vein thrombosis, I started to get stronger and stronger, but I directed it the wrong way. See, I still wanted to make things better.

The stronger that he saw me getting, the more that he upped his abuse.

You are at the point that I was at that time. You are getting stronger, you know what you want, and you want to do something about it. You already know that you can't change him, (something, I really couldn't believe back then, but it is true, you can't change another person) and you can make your life the way you want it to be.

I see so much in you, and so much for you and your daughter. I did have support going thru what I went thru, but for some reason, I wanted to go back into denial, and they wouldn't let me, so I isolated myself.

You're not doing that, and I am so proud of you for that.

My story did have a happy ending. I bought my raised ranch log cabin. It was really beat up, and I needed to do a lot of fixing up here. Somewhat of a complete renovation, but you know what, the house wasn't arguing with me. The house wanted the change also, and we are both growing and healing together.

I see you and I see your little girl, and I remember when I was a little girl, and I had to step over my dad who was passed out drunk in the middle of the floor, and wow, just afraid to not wake him up, afraid when I got older to bring my friends over to my house.

I wish I had the strength in me, or the courage in me, that you are showing now. Maybe I did, I just kept going into that denial, where I wanted it to be me, because if it was, that was something that I could change.

We all know that is the crazy stuff.

That dream of yours that you have, can and will come true.

I will stick with you through all of this, just like my friends did with me. They did it because they had a higher opinion of me, then I had for myself back then. I leaned on them, and you can lean on me. When you can walk alone, and love yourself, I will still be there for you and your daughter, and we can celebrate how good life can be.

PS-- to everyone who has posted here, this is also helping me too. Esp dandylion, you always come up with things that I didn't see, or even better advice then I could ever come up with. You see, I am still in the healing stage, and sometimes I cannot see the trees through the forest. Is that even the right saying?

The love and caring here is just amazing
Old 10-01-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Funny, I can remember a lot of the same things as a kid. I remember never letting friends come over because well yea then they would see the crazy. I can remember sitting and wondering what was going to set him off next and if I could only do this or that maybe I could stop it. Never seen how much it effected me until I had to start dealing with him and had a kid of my own. My dad still drinks, he was sober for 7 yrs and started back when I got pregnant. He is a Vietnam vet with a heart problem and PTSD. He is 65 now and even when drunk we dont have a lot of issues. He likes to nag about stupid stuff but I can tell him to back off and he will. I have bigger problems when he goes into flash back mode. My brother and I have both accepted there just isnt anything we can do and he is eventually go to drink himself to death. Sad but true. I havent been able to change him in 27 yrs so I know there is no way in hell I have any hope of doing it for abf.

Sorry that was ramblely and off topic kinda but anyways yes being here and the support you have all provided keeps me from hiding and ignoring the problem. I have been at this point before where I feel like my head is straight only to fall right back in. I dont want to do that this time, it isnt an option. I cant keeping dealing with his crap or I will be crazy. He started last night, or tried to and all I could do was laugh. He really is crazy and sick and just cant be helped. I have to laugh so I dont take bait and argue. I had been going on all of 2 hours of sleep and taking care of our sick kid and instead of maybe offering to help or showing a little compasion for her at the very least he could only sit on his pc until he got drunk enough to try to start crap with me while she was still up with a fever. Its amazing that his head is that far up his own butt. I ignored most of his quacking, at one point he said something alone the lines of well when I pass out at night I think you think that gives the right to talk to the other guy or whatever. So I told him to stop passing out then he wouldnt have to worry. That is a normal healthy response you give a normal healthy person, Right? Not him though, he got mad. I laughed and said oh so you mean that you should be able to be a jerk, get drunk and pass out AND have me be supportive and reassuring when you wake up worried because you dont want to change your bad habits. It was stupid but I laughed because it made sense to me, instead of letting him use his excuses to send me into a guilt trip and blame me, I clearly seen his manipulation for what it was and just how sick his mind really is if that is rational logic to him. I have let him do this to, let him manipulate and whatnot and now that it isnt working as well he is starting to behave like a spoiled teenager who inst getting his way anymore. I cant believe I have been so blind and allowed him to stuck me into the crazy vortex he creates. I am better than that!!!!!

Anyways, I feel good. Better everyday and I havent even started counselling or anything yet so I cant imagine what strides I can make once I do that. This place is truely amazing and each one of you are. It is such a blessing that I ended up here to have your support and learn from each of your experiences. I orginally came here to find ways I could "help" him but have gotten so much more.

I really hope to get an appointment today, how weird would it be for me to just show up at the second place if I cant get through to anyone on the phone?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good Morning,

It really does show that your eyes are "wide opened" right now.

Showing up at the second place, guess I will assume (and correct me if I am wrong) that would be the group counseling. I think that would be a great idea. You don't need an invite to that. Where I lived it was open to anyone, it was not in a private secluded place, and it was advertised.

Did you make a plan yet as to where you want to go? When you might try to do this? Does your abf know about the SNAP benefits?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

The second place is a Center for Women, Children and Families. The website says resources include child care, DV counseling services, parenting classes and crisis case management. They do group and one on one counselling.

He does know about the SNAP. His name is no where on it, nothing to do with any of it. I have two different friends, both 100 miles in the opposite different of each other that have said I could stay with them for a bit. I am not comfortable with either arrangement but abf doesnt know where either are. The shelter isnt too far from where I live and he wouldnt really think I would go there. Honestly I know what he is going to think and the first place he will check. Im not sure when, I feel like if I set a date I will just chicken out so I have just been trying to prepare, have important stuff ready to go, and keeping a decent amount of gas in my jeep so that when it gets bad again I can just go and decide where I am going then which would probably be in the middle of the night. My birthday is the 30th of this month and I was thinking this morning I would like to make it some sort of goal as it is the 1 yr mark of my and his last intimate stuff and my birthday has just always harbored a few different bad experiences and negativity so I want to try to change that and have something positive surrounding it. I caught myself daydreaming yesterday afternoon about what it is going to feel like when I leave and am in my jeep all alone and free. The thought of leaving and what will happen between him and my dad and the dogs and how he is going to react scares the crap out of me still but I cant help but be excited at the thought of escaping and being on my own without him baring down on my every move, thought, and decision.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I love the idea of setting a general goal of being out at some point before October 30! You are doing so wonderfully, and YES, there will be difficulties and dramas, but I think you are absolutely right to focus on all of the positives.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Ya know, I was afraid of setting dates also. I couldn't have kept to it. Seems like you are doing really well with thinking of what you will do when the time comes.

I was never going to leave that day that I left. It was new years eve 2008. We were invited to a party at "my friends" house. I told him about it, invited him to come with me, he told me "no". So I was just preparing to leave, and he called me, told me he wasn't coming home that night, that he was going to be celebrating with friends, and that I wasn't one of them !!!!!!!

This would have been the 5th or 6th time that he did not spend nye with me. I got in my car, told him that I was halfway to my friends house already, and that I wasn't coming back. I drove for 1 1/2 hours to their house, just feeling first in shock, that I was doing that, and then the calmness just took over me.

I think going to the Center for Woman is a really good idea.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sadconfused, continued good progress under difficult circumstances. Please continue to avoid getting sucked into taking his bait. Alcoholics are soo sensitive to anything they perceive as criticism--and can become angry in a flash. I know it is so hard when they are trying to provoke---but, arguing with an active alcoholic is like spitting into the wind.

I think going to the Center is an excellent idea!.

dandylion
Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

What's great is that you have a few different options, and you have thought each option through enough that any is, as of right now, a possibility. That way, when you really do get to that place in the road where you just cannot do this for one more second, you won't have to think through a lot of logistical stuff. You can just GO.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I read your posts, and think you are doing a beautiful job right now. You exhibit amazing strength and courage in a bad situation. "Courage is fear that said its prayers" I think the reason it isn't worse at the moment is because you are focused on doing what is right for you...and you're not getting caught up in his stuff. You aren't allowing fear to stop you. You are tenacious in your calls to the DV folks. You have a plan. You are no doubt inspiring to others on here.

I think about you, and I pray for your well being. Stay strong, stay focused. You're doing a GREAT job.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Sorry, ive been crazy busy today and havent had much time to stop and post or even process any thoughts yet but I feel like I got some stuff accomplished and a little nervous too. I went and finally picked up the free phone, it was super easy. Programmed all important numbers in it, turned it on silent, charged it, and Now I just have to find somewhere to hide it.

The outreach also called me back, got an appointment with her next tuesday at 3:30, Im excited for that. She seems really nice and I trust her for some reason. Didnt have a lot of time to ask many questions or talk as I was driving but she said we could get all of that out of the way tuesday.

The center for women also called me back. Im not too sure about it. They arent as friendly and personable as the outreach person. I guess it is the place that the court uses to make people take classes and stuff in cases. The are much more frank and more of a medically governement type place. I dont like that I had to give my address and his name and my daughters name but I did. Someone is suppose to call me back with an appointment from there but I honestly think I will just stick with Ana the outreach person. Just trying to talk myself down from having to give all that info. I didnt feel quite ready to do that but too late now. Overall a good day, stuff is moving along. He seems suspicious but he always is so whatever.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Wow, the DV counselor there just called me back and I have an appointment there for monday at 10am. She was much nicer and reassured me that nothing will be used against me and he wont be contacted in anyway.

So these are both counseling places, should I go to both of them or just pick one, or maybe go to both and pick the person I clicked with the most? I feel a little overwhelmed. It will pass as soon as I have sometime to process some thoughts but yea wow. Snowball!!!! The good feelings are outweighing the bad and I am doing right for my kid. That makes me happy and proud. I think I can really get through this, I have it set up, I cant really believe it, its kinda unreal I am here at this point when I felt so low just last week.

I am going to go, he will be here soon and I need to hide this phone and paper work. Have a good night all and thank you for being here. (((Hugs)))
Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Wow, you got a lot accomplished today !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say to go to both of them. See what you think about them. Maybe they will both be helpful for you. Glad the phone call you got back from the second place turned out better then your initial phone call.

Have a good night. Will talk to you tomorrow.