Little advances, hoping they add up eventually

Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Little advances, hoping they add up eventually

I feel kind of odd posting this when we seem to have a real storm of people in crisis here today, and this is certainly nothing earthshaking, but I guess I'll fling it out for whatever it's worth.

Today I got an email from an acquaintance; it was a "canned" invitation to a "double super launch" of her new "Wild Tree Organics" business. Wild Tree bills itself as a "convenient organic food" company, where apparently you buy thru a party the first time and then continue to order thru your salesperson.

I HATE this $hit. No Tupperware parties, no Pampered Chef, no naughty lingerie parties, NONE of that for me, thanks. Overpriced crap. Zero interest.

So I immediately start stressing, oh, how can I get out of this, oh gosh, I'll have to make up something that we are doing so I can't go, oh but then she'll invite me a DIFFERENT time, then wtf will I do, should I just go and not buy anything? Then I'll feel like a schmoe...but I don't WANT to buy anything--and on and on!

Suddenly a thought enters my brain--how about you just tell the truth (kindly) and wish her well? WOWIE ZOWIE! What a concept! I wrote a quick email in which I thanked her for the invite, but we have a freezer full of locally raised meat and I work on Fridays at an organic farm in exchange for produce, so we don't really have a need for any other food. I wished her success in the new endeavor and left it at that. Soon after, I got a pleasant reply and that was that, end of story.

Slow and gradual growth in the oddest areas! Thanks to everyone here; I've learned so much. Trudging forward slowly...
Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The truth will always set you free!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I actually LOVE it when people share things like this. The small victories mean A LOT, and I think it is always helpful to hear how people are growing not just in their interactions with their qualifiers, but in life in general. Because truly, it works if you work it!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

in all our affairs....it says that in the AA big book....so your experience honey pig was not trivial or little, it was the ever expanding presence of RECOVERY in your life!

I remember the first time I was able to say NO THANK YOU, do not call me again..to a telemarketer. eek, violation of the people pleasing contract!!!! I had to squeeze my eyes shut to do it, over the PHONE. I hung up and waited for the world to end....wasn't that the consequence for violating the RULE?

good for you. bravo.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you honeypig. I'm still not there yet, but whenever I get these invites, I just tell them that my daughter does that, and I get the stuff from her. It's somewhat of a lie, but somewhat not. She does do these parties, and I am happy that I live 2 hours away from her, so it is impossible for me to attend hers.

I have taken care of telemarketers. I just hang up while they are talking, and I no longer feel rude. Figure they must be used to it by now.

You go girl ...................
Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I HATE this $hit. No Tupperware parties, no Pampered Chef, no naughty lingerie parties, NONE of that for me, thanks. Overpriced crap. Zero interest.
I also just wanted to say that we are totally on the same page about these parties. I understand why some people enjoy them and have fun, but they left a bad taste in my mouth back when I first entered the workforce after law school. The wives of the male attorneys in my firm would talk endless smack about the women attorneys, but we were always the first people they invited to their product parties! The whole thing was just so phony.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I feel kind of odd posting this when we seem to have a real storm of people in crisis here today, and this is certainly nothing earthshaking, but I guess I'll fling it out for whatever it's worth.
Thanks for posting! I for one, like to hear about our little victories. Good for you HP.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Haha, Honeypig, I feel the same way. There are TWO parties I'm invited to Friday and Saturday, both for things I have no interest in buying. I'm also struggling to pay my mortgage and taxes right now, so buying a 31 bag is not on my priority list. Good for you for saying no and not apologizing for it!

These small strides really do matter and add up. You've inspired me to do the same and politely back out of these parties I'm dreading. xo