Inducing amnesia

Old 09-13-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inducing amnesia

Bizarre thought of the day... Wouldn't it be great if there was a pill to take that would magically erase all memories of the alcoholic? Like I see him but have no emotional feelings. Don't remember the good nor the bad. When I think about leaving, the memories of the good times are what kills me. I know this is normal :-/ I see the potential to be happy with someone else. Just looks hard to get from point A to point B....
Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello HHTexas

Originally Posted by HHTexas View Post
... Wouldn't it be great if there was a pill to take that would magically erase all memories of the alcoholic? Like I see him but have no emotional feelings. Don't remember the good nor the bad....
Yup, an easier, softer way. But then you might do what I did, which is to go hook up with _another_ addict. I think I _need_ to remember my first ex, and _have_ those negative feelings, in order to not make the same mistakes again.... er.... a third time.

...When I think about leaving, the memories of the good times are what kills me. I know this is normal :-/ I see the potential to be happy with someone else. Just looks hard to get from point A to point B....
Totally. That is exactly how I felt after leaving my first ex. Then I fell in love with #2 and built all new _good_ memories. Until her food addiction exploded and then I had to start all over again. Now I am on my own and building _good_ memories by myself, thank you very much

What helped me the most was talking to peeps in al-anon who had made it through to the other side. Knowing that it really is possible is what got me out of the "pit" and into a better life.

Mike
Old 09-13-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I think about leaving, the memories of the good times are what kills me. I know this is normal :-/ I see the potential to be happy with someone else. Just looks hard to get from point A to point B....
Me too! What really gets me is thinking of him feeling really down if I did leave. I've often thought, if he could only be a drunken a$$ every day, it would be really easy, but he's not drunk everyday, and when he's sober he's my best friend. So sick of the emotional roller coaster.

Last edited by DesertEyes; 09-13-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

we gain freedom when we quit basing our thoughts and decisions on what THEY do. when we put ourselves first. our OWN best interests, our own health, our own best life.

throughout our lives we HAVE good memories...that's what they are...MEMORIES...the past. like a photo album. vignettes, moments. return them to their rightful place, IN OUR PAST, and move forward. not because we think there might be somebody else out there, but because it is what is best FOR US.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You people are freakin brilliant. I learn so much here. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia